Freeview box - Fixed!

Thanks to all for advice on my dead Freeview box. New capacitors arrived today from Maplin. A tad larger than the old one but I shoehorned it in and spattered some solder in its general direction. ;-)

Anyhow, it's working fine now. Perhaps the Maplin ones aren't the perfect ones but I've got another three left over should they prove short-lived. ;-)

Thanks again.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Well done.

On the basis of your sucessful repair I'll get some capacitors in for the day my Sony STB fails.

Are the programmes improved?

Roger R

Reply to
Roger R

What make? Are they marked 105C? An ordinary electrolytic will fail in short order in an SMPS where it needs a low ESR type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That really depends on the ambient temperature and the temperature range the box was designed for, amongst other things. It may well work just fine for a long time. The original failure is almost certainly the well known "bad capacitor" problem that I think someone mentioned in the original thread.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Jamicon

Yep. They're 35V as opposed to the original 10V so I don't know if that will have an influence on longevity. I'm guessing it can't do any harm to be a bit overspec in this regard.

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

IIRC Effective series resistance. ;-)

It's that old Eye Squared Arr thing.

makes em go pop. Worth putting a lower value non electrolytic in parallel sometimes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher