Foundation for wall.

I'm going to put a regular brick wall in front of the old stone wall. They will be seperated by about 4 inches and the gap will be filled with concrete.

The old stone wall is 3.5 feet high and has no real foundation. The base of the bottom stones are about 2inches below ground level and rest on crushed stones. The wall is stable and been up about 20 years.

Behind it is soil that goes to the top of the wall. On my side I see the full length of the wall.

I'm putting in front of the old wall flags that will go about 18 inches below ground level and stick proud of the soil level by 6 inches. So, along the length of the old wall at the front will be flags rising 6 inch from ground level.

The new front brick wall will be laid adjacent to these flags. The inside edge of the new wall and the front edge of the old wall will be about 4 inches and it will be filled with concrete.

Okay, that's the general setup. How deep should I make the foundation trench for the front brick wall? And how deep should the cement be in that trench? Do I fill the trench with cement first to ground level and let it set and then build the wall on that? Thanks.

Reply to
Rich

Why are you planting two foot flags in front of the old wall prior to building a new one? You do realise that you will be digging well below the 'foundations' of the old wall? - and also you will be disturbing the soil on which you want to pour concrete for your new wall.

I assume the overall idea is to either obliterate the view of the old wall because it's unsightly or to strengthen it because it's struggling with it's job of retaining?

You'd be wise to just dig a trench a spade's width and depth, fill with concrete and build your new wall....if strength *is* and issue, drill into the old wall and affix tie wires and build them into your new wall.

Reply to
Phil L