Footings crossing boundary

Page 1 of 2
Hi, As I understand it from a previous thread a week or so back, it is permissable to build a garage extension right up to the boundary between neighbouring properties and the foundations can actually cross over. The idea being to eliminate unsightly gaps between extensions built side by side. If this is the case, what happens when the second person to build then wants to build up to the boundary too? Does his wall bear on those original foundations? If so, what happens if those foundations are only suitable for a single story and the second person wants to build higher? (I may be in a similar situation sometime. The original thread fizzled out.)
Rockydell
Hi, As I understand it from a previous thread a week or so back, it is permissable to build a garage extension right up to the boundary between neighbouring properties and the foundations can actually cross over. The idea being to eliminate unsightly gaps between extensions built side by side. If this is the case, what happens when the second person to build then wants to build up to the boundary too? Does his wall bear on those original foundations? If so, what happens if those foundations are only suitable for a single story and the second person wants to build higher? (I may be in a similar situation sometime. The original thread fizzled out.)
Rockydell

I did not see the original thread but it certainly is NOT acceptable without permission, preferably by altering the deeds, and in many cases building regs and/or planning would prevent it. If you want to build right up the boundary where there is another wall the sensible thing to do is agree this with the neighbour and plan ahead.
Peter Crosland wrote:

Indeed, a friend of mine feel foul of this when the footings for his extension were being dug. The neighbour pointed out the pitched roof and gutter of the extension would be over his garden. So the plans and footings had to altered and there was significant extra expense incurred.

Yes, it is prudent to ascertain that you own the land before you design and build!
Christian.
"Christian McArdle" wrote

Or air in this case.
Is it a daft question to ask that the boundary extends 'virtually' upwards from the property line. How far ?
Can I charge BAA for entering the airspace I own above my house ;-)
P.
Zymurgy wrote:

They've built an airport over your house?.
--
Laurie R

Zymurgy wrote:

No. The bounday extyends upwards essentially to aircraft level, because you are allowed to shoot birds that fall intio your land. You are not allowed to shot aircraft that fly over. IIRC there is a 250ft minimum altidude on aircaft as well, so that is esentially where 'your property' stops and 'free airspace' begins, for practical puroses.
It does NO exend downwards: Mineral extraction rights are NOT automatically granted.
In the sense of overlooking, it doesn't even extend up to the boundary.

There isn't. There is a 500ft rule in a direct line from any structure rule. So if you had a farm and were away from any buildings, people, vehicles etc, the trespass only starts when the wheels touch the ground. However, for a standard house plot, there is effectively a 500ft minimum fly over height. Over a congested area (which originally intended to mean towns and cities, but is now harshly interpreted by the courts to basically mean anything from a small hamlet upwards), there is a minimum 1500ft height.
However, the 500ft rule is not applied when aircraft are using the space to take off or land. The 1500ft rule doesn't apply either, provided it is a licenced aerodrome, which last time I checked the AIP, anything BAA operated was, not surprisingly!
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

I assume that it doesn't to the RAF either? If it does then the Hercules pilots at RAF Lyneham need a slap - they fly that low (well under 500ft) over here sometimes that you can feel the pressure "pulses" from the props *inside* the house.

[20 lines snipped]

In theory it does apply to the RAF. In practice, the MoD will merely deny that there were aircraft operating in that area at that time.
I've had a Chinook come over so low that the guy standing in the side cargo door waved.
Still, the occasional military (and Duxford) stuff is quite entertaining, unlike the people racking up hours who go round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round.

I used to live on a street which was on top of an inland cliff. The street at the bottom of the cliff was a notorious drugs hotspot, and it wasn't uncommon to look out of my bedroom window and look down on the police helicopter using its searchlight!
Al
Huge wrote:

I know!! Man, tell me about it. It's like they like the look of our house 'cause it's a nice white marker.
--
Grunff

You could do a Norwegian modification and create a turf roof. That should work OK in the Devon climate.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

Hmmm... there's a thought. I'd have to mow the roof. What did you do this weekend? I mowed the roof. Yes, I like that.
--
Grunff

[9 lines snipped]

You too, huh? I've been thinking of painting the house dark green (which would also solve the algae problem). Or buying an 35mm Oerlikon...
http://www.eme421.com/gdf35mm.html
Huge wrote:

Lol! That'd do it.
--
Grunff

Where is your house in relation to the runway? You may find that an alternative circuit route may be practical that avoids your house. Most airfields have noise abatement circuit patterns that avoid sensitive areas. These usually get published so that even visting pilots know which houses/villages/farms to avoid.
Obviously, if you are right under final approach at 500ft, there's not much room for manoevure.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

About 4 miles away!

But then I wouldn't have anything to moan about :-( It only happens pccasionally, maybe every 3 weeks or so. But when it happens, it goes on for what seems like an eternity.
--
Grunff

Odd. Only a total incompetent would do circuit training four miles from the airfield. Pilots with circuits this wide are likely to be the subject of intense ridicule if discovered. The ATZ is only 2 nautical miles radius, so they're actually well outside the airfield's "airspace".
Christian.