foot pump oil/grease?

is the cylinder of a foot pump supposed to be oiled, greased, or simply run dry? I just took mine apart to beef up the worn-out plate through which the plunger shaft runs, and it was completely caked with yuck inside (a mixture of years of dirt and who-knows-what).

I cleaned it all up, but I'm not sure what if anything it should be lubed with.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Neither was I. I happened to have a jar of silicone lubrication for assembling plastic gutters and push-fit pipe, and so I used that. That was 5 years ago, and it's worked perfectly ever since.

I guess you need to avoid lubricants which attack rubber, as some will probably get into the tyre inner tubes.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks... I gave it a little multi-purpose grease, and will see how that goes. I only use the pump* on one of the lawn tractor's tyres which has a slow puncture, so it's probably no big deal; worst case it trashes a tyre that already had problems anyway.

  • I'll get the tuits together and fix my compressor at some point! :-)

Oh, for the end-plate I drilled and bolted a 1.8" thick washer to it which had just the right diameter hole in the middle for the plunger shaft. Seems to be working like a charm - before that there was so much wear in the end-plate that the pump used to jam partway upon release. Cheapo Chinese junk...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

maybe the tyre's repairable with a bit of offcut inner tube plus rubber cement. Coat the tube well all over, and push it most of the way into the hole with a tool. Let set & trim.

NT

Reply to
NT

TBH, I've not checked it to see where the leak is - so I don't actually know if it's a puncture or a beading problem.

I might motivate myself to look at it this year, although the wheel's jammed onto the axle rather well (I even had a brief go at it when I had the whole axle off to do some work on the reversing gear last year). I suppose I could improvise some kind of puller though.

Or I could just get a tube for it - the local farm supply place does them (I'm pretty sure it's tubeless, although I suppose it might have a tube in there...)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Used to be graphite grease in my old dirty pushbike pump using days.

The leather still wore out fairly quickly though.

Still, could be worse: Brunel almost had a pneumatic railway working, but for the lack of modern sealing materials and lubricants that wouldn't freeze or get eaten,,,

spamlet