Foot Pump

I've had a couple of (small) electric ones die, including the one in the jump start pack: they were pretty flimsy as well as being slow and noisy. You don't seem to get robust foot pumps these days, but I have a big Draper stirrup pump which someone recommended here a while ago, and that's been good. Will reach the 90 psi required by the lorry (but hard work)

part number 87392

Reply to
newshound

Not if the manufacturer then tries to cut corners by using dodgy components that appear to meet the original spec.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Well, exactly. There is an over-reliance on self-certification that is inherent in ISO 90xx and this is at the root of so many quality problems today. "Quality Assurance" is just a joke because records in "Quality Systems" can so easily be falsified.

And when there is a fast buck to be made, human nature dictates that the quality system gets all the boxes ticked and forms signed regardless of the real quality of the product.

People like John who display such touching faith in quality systems should perhaps take lessons in human nature, and especially the relationship between integrity and greed.

Reply to
Bruce

Fair cop!

I do however, believe that a modern automated production facility reduces the variation introduced by so called skilled operatives.

I remember the "Friday Car" (or was it Monday) from car manufacturers where a resentful workforce couldn't be arsed to do a good job.

I also recall an old VW Brochure claiming that every xth operative was an Inspector. If lots of inspectors are required then the production process must be out of control!

x = I forget the number - may have been 9th.

Most Brand Owners will have Audit plans to ensure integrity is not compromised by greed.

Reply to
John

As long as every ninth operative is an Auditor/Inspector, I'm sure all will go well. At least, the paperwork will look good. ;-)

I have had long experience of Quality Assurance starting in the early

1980s, going through BS5750 and ISO90xx. After nearly 30 years, I remain unconvinced that Quality Assurance has done anything significant to improve overall quality.

However, Quality Assurance has done a lot for the record-keeping industry, and it has created a whole new employment sector with quality consultants around every corner. It is just a pity that all this effort has been concentrated on the systems and record-keeping and not on the quality of the product or service.

Reply to
Bruce

Nice try, but isn't it the job of management to ensure decent quality control and rectification of any faults?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Absolutely - by having the right (process capable) equipment, methods and processes. Not necessarily having people tweaking with things to just about get them right.

Reply to
John