[OT] Fuel cell technology.

Saw this on another NG and thought it might be an interesting subject for discussion.

Donwill

Ok, its a fuel cell, so it sburning hydrocarbon fuel.

So how is that better than doing it in a power station, possibly at better overall efficiency?

Its still burning hydrocarbon or hydrogen fuel.

That's the same as the whole hydrogen economy myth: where do you get the hydrogen? takes power to split it from water...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bit early to tell yet. However, have found another ref :

to be officially launched today. It's not April the 1st yet is it :-) .

Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

True. I suppose you could argue that you could use solar to generate the hydrogen and then ship that around - but the advantage of oil is that it has a high energy density.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Might be. He appears to have invented the gas stove.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's supposed to generate at twice the efficiency of [other??] generators of electricity. Don

Reply to
Donwill

weight for weight, hydrogen is better, but its bulky.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Right. So 110% efficient. Wow!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, were talking approximations here, I'd be happy with 80% wouldn't you? Don

Reply to
Donwill

Id be surprised if they got anything like that.

60-70% for fuel cells operating at sensible output levels. They are quite efficient at low outputs though.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, time will tell I suppose, hopefully it's a breakthrough, however, until proved apply a healthy bit if scepticism I think. Rattlesnake oil springs to mind. Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

No, just a bit of development.

No, its probably an advance, but its not the answer to any prayers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A fuel cell doesn't generate anything, it converts from one for to another. A power station does the same.

Now a power station that produces half the pollution for the same amount of energy will take twice as long to pollute the place but it will pollute the place. When they come up with a technology that doesn't need the carbon to make it or to run it there may be a solution, this isn't it.

Reply to
dennis

well its nice to know that there is no need to have the word 'generate' in the English language at all, since everything that is 'generated' is in fact a conversion of one thing from another.

Only God, presumably, generates anything at all.

I am so glad, you pointed that out Dennis..

About 40 years after everyone else knew it for a fact..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The same as "generators" then, they convert mechanical energy to electrical energy but they are still called generators.

and are usually full of generators or they used to be when I did my apprenticeship in the 50s

You'll wait a long time for perfection, You will probably achieve it when the Earth is free of humans which wont be long now. Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

Not sold through Rolls Razor by any chance?

Reply to
Rod