folding door

I've a small flat and the current bathroom door opens out into the hall and meets the path of the open kitchen door. I'm thinking that a solution would be a folding door to the bathroom, one that's in two sections folding on a central hinge and make it open into the bathroom. Space does not permit simply hanging the existing door so it opens into the bathroom. Is this something I can buy off the shelf, e.g B&Q, or would I need a joiner? Also, would it be possible to make such a door by altering, i.e. sawing in half, the existing door?

Thanks

neil leslie

Whatever you do, don't have the hinged part - the middle bit - facing the lavatory.

I stayed in a B&B like that one, because of the lighting in the bathroom people on the landing could see anyone on the throne.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Reply to
Paper2002AD

You can buy bi-fold door gear from any of the sheds or a BM. The kit consists of hinges to hinge the 2 leaves together, an upper track to guide the free edge of the second leaf, and pin-type hinges for the top and bottom of the first leaf.

If the current door is the usual sort of hollow internal door, it's not a good idea to saw it in half because there's no framing in the middle - and nothing to fix your hinges to. If it's solid, you may be able to.

Some of the sheds sell half-width doors, in pairs - which you can hinge together using the kit mentioned above.

Reply to
Set Square

I guess you could use either a bi-fold door, or one of the concertina type The next problem you will find is how to lock it when you are in there

- some sort of metal loop and bar arrangement?

Reply to
Conrad Edwards

I got a moulded "panelled" bi-fold door from B&Q a while back. They are "fun" to hang as they need to be vertical in both front/back and left right planes or front/back and in a true square frame. It's a while since I fitted mine...

It might be but modern internal doors are constructed out of 1/8" ply and a honeycomb light card core. The edges would need a block of wood fitting in and unless you got the cut *exactly* straight and square the folding won't work particulary well or not at all.

Why bother?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Do you know any good tunes to whistle then?

Reply to
Conrad Edwards

Like I said, why bother? Or have you got something no one else has?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice