FM Aerial Wiring

The fact that a term is in regular useage does not make it automatically correct. There can be no such thing as an FM aerial, because the modulation method is not determined by frequency.

Oh and would you kindly trim to context. There should never be more quoted than reply text.

Reply to
Andy Luckman

Why is that then ?....

:~P

Reply to
Jerry.

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 22:05:46 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Jerry." strung together this:

Cos he said!

Reply to
Lurch

Apologies, but the misuse of the term gets right on my nerves.

That and "If I bring my video round tonight, can I video that video you videoed the other night."

Reply to
Huge

Will a VHF dipole and a UHF Yagi on the same pole influence each other's performance? How far apart should the be? Peter

Reply to
Peter

In my profession, it's filming - when it's being shot on video.

And vaguely DIY, plugs meaning sockets.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

My pet "bad term" is 'thermal underwear' maybe 'thermally insulating underwear' is acceptable. Thermal only means heat, would you (TINY) say 'heat underwear' ? Even Damart et al use the term, suppose it has become part of the lexicon now

English was a proper language when a were a lad.

Reply to
Soup

They will to some extent and the greater risk is to the UHF reception.

I am not certain that there are any precise rules on this, but generally having the arrays spaced vertically on the mast by at least half the length of the VHF antenna's dipole appears to be good practice.

Having them crammed up together in areas of UHF reception problems may have an effect.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I know what you mean.

We used when I were a lad to have gay days gaily watching the gay flags fluttering in the breeze, searching for fairies at the bottom of the garden, when life was miore upper crust than soggy bottom. And a queen was something with a crown on a pack of cards.

Alas, no more. The fairies are now at the bottom of something else entirely, having a gay time with other queens.

There used to be a useful parking spot at the bottom of the A1 just after Apex corner, where after an hour fighting through traffic, I could park the car, use the loo, and gaze out over north london. Before braiving St albans, hatfieldm setvenage and the like.

Last tme I stopped the loo was locked and a couple of police advised me that 'only home oh seckz you alls' use that partcular facility any more and requested I 'move along'...

Oh! the shattered innocence of it all!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes

How far apart should the be?

An infinite distance.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The secret, if you have the space, is to put the VHF vertical (assuming the UHF is horizontal.) Then you get least interaction.

Reply to
Woody

Well yes, except that most Band 2 stations use horizontal polarisation.....

In the OP's case, he might have been able to do it since his local transmitter (presumably Whitehawk Hill) uses mixed polarisation....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Is that the reason why just about every public toilet in London has been closed? And I thought it was just cost cutting. There must be an awful lot of homysensuals around - perhaps you can't now say they're a minority?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In article , Peter writes

In general the VHF Band 2 aerial will have a smaller effect on the UHF TV . The "boom" of the UHF aerial will almost have some effect on the Band 2 aerial being close to a multiple of the frequency involved but usually around 3 to 4 feet apart will suffice.

We did a detailed aerial analysis of a rooftop in London, Tolworth tower, and some radio comms and broadcast aerials there had nulls in some directions that were up to 18 dB down on what they were supposed to be!. All that owing to a grand lack of planning!.

Anyway enjoy!, now you have laboured and risked your neck:-)

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Woody writes

Provided that you end mount the Band 2 otherwise you have the support boom in the way, which makes a mess of the original design:-<

Reply to
tony sayer

Rural Lincs here rather than a big city but the public toilets in town were closed due to the risk of paedophile attacks (insurance risks thereof, according to the town council) despite there never being a single reported incident. Pensioner power kicked in though and a year later they were reopened.

Reply to
James Hart

Any excuse rather than the truth - they want to save money. If they were concerned about paedophile attacks on their property, they'd have to close the schools, parks, swimming pools, libraries...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:16:14 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Dave Plowman strung together this:

I can't stand people getting that wrong, especially electricians who should know better.

Reply to
Lurch

Read a story once (no idea if it's true or just urban myth, but it does make a good tail...) about a couple of young women who needed the loo, so rather than pay up to use one of those new loo's twice they hit on the bright idea of one paying and the other nipping in as the other left (before the door shut, thinking there must be an emergency way of opening the door from the inside), so the second woman nips in as the first gets out, all the first woman can hear after the door shuts are muffled screams from inside - after a while the door opens and out steps one soaked and totally pissed off woman !...

As I said, not sure if it is just urban myth but it sure make a great tail of woe.

Reply to
Jerry.

They money saving point I could just about understand but all the time it sat locked up the lights were switched on 24hrs as they were on a sensor and the windows were boarded up, crazy but true. At the same time the council were putting PP through to create a replacement toilet block on the wrong side of town, taking out 4 parking spaces to boot. The signs pointing pedestrians towards the closed block stayed up as well, leaving visitors bemused as they were looking for an open set of facilities.

Reply to
James Hart