floor tiling + adhesive thickness

I've surveyed my screed floor with a spirit leve, and its not bad. Variation of max 6mm, mainly due to one corner being lower (actually due to the door at that side being lower than the other door !). However, I've decided to lay the whole lot "flat" to a spirit level. I'll get a new one since the two bubbles on my long level seem to "fighting" each other ! I think the variation is small enough to take out with the tile adhesive.

So the question is, what is the "normal" thickess of adhesive you would use (e.g. with thinset and a standard comb trowel). I wouldn't think it would be less than 2mm to have any "properties". If 2mm, the maximum thickess of the adhesive would be 8mm.

I could use levelling compound to take out a few millimetres on the low side, but I might end up wishing I hadn't tried !

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

of max 6mm, mainly due to one corner being lower (actually due to the door at that side being lower than the other door !).

a new one since the two bubbles on my long level seem to "fighting" each other !

(e.g. with thinset and a standard comb trowel). I wouldn't think it would be less than 2mm to have any "properties".

but I might end up wishing I hadn't tried !

Use rapid set and vary from about 3mm to whatever you need.

I went up to 30mm in some places.

I used scrap ends of old buckets that had nearly gone off to level up (roughly) the next tile.

Best trick is to lay a string level and lay one central course to that..then use the string at right anlges to get a line for a cross wise course..

That should mean that a bit more string now and again and a level as you go will get you there.

Took me many days to di it that way,(30 sq m)but the result was spot on.

That was the summer we won the test against the ozzies: I watched the whole bloody thing laying that floor..with a TV perched in the corner..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are they not adjustable? If so, pack something level (checked by using your level one way round and then the other and averaging - same tube each time) and then adjust your tubes level on top of that, repeating each way to confirm.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I dont think they are adjustable. Was an OK make, cannot remember what. Its just been dropped too many times I think ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

of max 6mm, mainly due to one corner being lower (actually due to the door at that side being lower than the other door !).

get a new one since the two bubbles on my long level seem to "fighting" each other !

(e.g. with thinset and a standard comb trowel). I wouldn't think it would be less than 2mm to have any "properties".

side, but I might end up wishing I hadn't tried !

How quick does that rapid set actually set ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson