Floor mounted radiator

Hi,

I have a conservatory (9' x 8') that is floor to ceiling uPVC. At the moment it is unheated - apart from an electric heater that I put in during the winter. I'd quite like to extend the central heating and put a new radiator out there. However, obviously a wall-mounted radiator isn't going to do the business.

I know that some of of the designer radiators can be floor mounted, however I don't really want to spend much on this job, and they seem quite costly. I wondered whether I could obtain steel brackets that were bolted to the floor, to mount a 'normal' radiator onto - using the normal rad wall brackets, but fixed to my new steel posts. I only want a short (30 or 40 cm high) rad, so I think that that type of mounting would work quite well.

Has anyone done something similar (and if so, where did you get the mounting bracket from), or have any other ideas about heating a similar conservatory.

Thanks Ian

Reply to
Ian C

There are freestanding rads that won't break the bank, they're just not very 'designer' more 'office foyer'. Looking at the dedicated floor mounting rads, these still require a 100mm air gap at the floor as Andy has stated. I assume the house wall is not usable for some reason? If the rad is going against a glass panel ther may be additional heat loss to consider.

e.g. (all btu @ 60deg, prices plus VAT) Barlo Primo, a low level box style with optional freestanding feet H:280 x W:1400mm 1858btu £197 H:280 x W:1800mm 2389btu £210 Floor mounting 100mm feet £12.50 ea

Alternatives requiring some support: Smiths Sureline, perimeter heating that looks like oversize skirting. per 1000mm cased length, 2460btu £64.32

Smiths Signature, hydronic low level fan convector, same principal as kitchen plinth heaters but fully boxed for independent mounting. Signature 7, 6148btu £142.72

Or finally the traditional style sectional column rads. Walney PMP Tubarad, each section W:46mm, may be combined up to 22 sections. H:400mm x D:177mm 5 column, 273btu £14.28 H:400mm x D:215mm 6 column, 355btu £16.49

Toby.

Reply to
Toby

Thanks for the comments. I don't expect to get the warmest room ever out of this, but 3 - 3.5 Kw will help no end. I reckon that a 450 high rad will do the business - without needing to be excessively long. Stelrad Elite does look pretty good. However does anyone know where you can get the floor brackets from? (I'll get on the phone to Stelrad tomorrow, however if anyone knows any normal suppliers, then I'd be interested to know)

Ta Ian

conservatory.

Reply to
Ian C

If you look in the downloadable brochure, it illustrates them, so Stelrad should supply them. Therefore they should be obtainable (I suspect to order from places like Travis Perkins or Plumbcenter.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You got me thinking so after a quick brochure hunt, Myson do these as well.

"MYSON ACCESSORIES - Floor Mounting Brackets Floor mounting brackets are available, finished in matching RAL 9003. These are supplied in a standard height of 900mm and can simply be cut to the required size."

last page.

Toby.

Reply to
Toby

Have you considered a fan assisted radiator? These are like electric fan heaters with the heat provided from a heat exchanger from the central heating (obviously the fan part is electric). Much smaller than a panel radiator.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle