Flat screen tv wall mounting - Idea

Hi all. My house is a 100 yeard terrace and I won't have any problem when it comes to using a wall mount for a big lcd telly. But most of the timber framed new builds will have a medium sized problem. And I think that its people in new builds that are creating the market for tv stands (expensive and horrible) So why doesn't some guy produce a concrete block that would fit into a gap created by the removal of 4 house bricks from an external wall? eg. ======= =======||======== ======= The part of the concrete plug that fite into this gap would be a bit less than the width of a brick to allow a 'brick facing' to be glued on to match the other bricks. The inner part of the concrete plug could be about 9" square or more and about 3" deep. So the method

1 Choose location between vertical timbers.
  1. Cut out plaster board
3 Cut out insulation 4.Chip out 4 bricks. 5 Install concrete plug 6 Bit of infill around the inside of the concrete square. 7 Bit iof plaster skimming. 8 Glue on brick facings. DONE! Then, 'Mr New Build Owner' can fix his wall mount and add 2 square metres of floor space to his living room.

This would probably do for 80% of new builds.

Your thoughts please!

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

In article , Arthur 51 wrote: [snip]

Most modern timber framed houses have a vapour barrier between frame and outside wall. Not a good idea to remove part of it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

99% of DIYers just about know one end of a drill from another - that sounds like a nightmare job for the average joe. And there are plenty of fixings for plasterboard walls.
Reply to
Doki

If you're going to chop about the plasterboard, easier to just fit decent battens between the studs. They'll take the weight of any TV.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My first thoughts were "Why the b___ h___ does he want to mount the telly on the *outside* of the house?" - then I realised that you're talking about timber-framed brick veneer houses - and that these concrete blocks would take up the full thickness of the wall so as present a solid face on the

*inside". Is that what you mean?

If so, I doubt whether it would fit many situations. I don't know what the usual spacing is on the uprights of the timber frame, but the chances are that there will usually be a bit of timber in the way - or you will have to move the telly to a less good position. If you're going to start removing plasterboard, surely it would be better to fix some noggins in a suitable place, and mount the telly off those? Added to that, I think that your local friendly BCO might have something to say about using a solid - uninsulated - lump of concrete in this way.

I don't know what proprtion of new build *is* brick veneer. ISTM that equally popular is the use of brick/block cavity walls with sheets of plasterboard fixed on the inside using dabs of plasterboard adhesive. This type of construction also presents a bit of a challenge when mounting anything heavy on the wall - but your solution wouldn't really help in this case.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Isn't it just chavs that have them on the wall?

Reply to
John

Don't make me come up there!

Arthur