Flat roof repair

I have 20sq.m. of 40-year old, north-facing, felted flat roof which is showing some cracks and there are signs off leakage onto plasterwork below.

Having looked around at repair products available it's clear that there are many choices and a wide variation in price. I would be grateful if someone with experience could advise on:

Technology - bitumen, acrylic, rubber Brands - much the same for a given technology? Application - coverage per litre: how many coats.

Thanks.

Reply to
Roger Cain

Repair liquids are of little value, and as folk have said its likely rotten through. Well past time for a new roof. Insulate it well this time, insulation will pay its cost back and more.

NT

Reply to
NT

Strip, repair wood below, fibreglass.

Fibreglass is straightforward to do, reliable and long lasting. It can be walked upon, is weather and sun proof to a much larger degree than any other coating,

Reply to
Peter Parry

Interesting. Know if there are full instructions online anywhere? Or do Wicks do a leaflet?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They do indeed:

you decide to do the job, pop into a Wickes store and pick up printed versions. You'll need them on-hand throughout.

Reply to
alamaison

Thanks very much. I have a flat roof which is some 25 years old - but done properly - and although still ok must be coming to the end of its life. That looks like something I could DIY.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Speaking from experience if you intend to stay there then the best way is to have a pitched roof. You may find when you go to replace the felt that the wood underneath is rotten. Yes it is dearer bur with our peculiar UK climate a pitched roof is the answer. It is all right in middle Eastern Countries to have flat rooves where they have little rain and even less snow. Any way when I lived in the Far East metal on the roof was far too hot but it did stop the roof being eaten by insects. As others have said the pikeys would have the roof away in no time. They are already nicking the lead from Church es and drain covers and even road signs Robbie

Reply to
Roberts