Fixing anti-bid mesh

Back last year I posted that my out buildings were being coated in crap due to swallows nesting. While they are sunning themselves in Africa ... I intend putting in a barrier to stop them this year.

Unless someone has a a better idea, the though is that as the outbuilding is trussed roof construction open at ceiling ... and they nest up in eaves ...

If I put an ant-bird nets horizontal across the joists of the trusses, it will stop them without affecting light passage too much. Probably use a woven 20 x 20mm polyethylene netting ...Now this is where I need help.

Outbuilding is in 2 bays separated by a wall. Would want to fit the netting such that I can still get up into 'roof' space occasionally, where I store materials etc;

So if we take aprox size of each bay as 3.5m x 8.5m ... trusses are right angles to long measurement. looking for suggestions as to how to fix the net, one that it is 'bird tight', so that means fairly taught across the underside of trusses.

Some initial thoughts are thread bamboo canes through the edges and find a way to fix canes (some form of cup hook ?) ... or use canes on ends and down one side, and thread bungee elastic cord down other, allow bungee to hook over some clip at intervals, this would allow access, and 'should help keep net taught.

Maybe even a couple of intermediate canes down centre ?

Anybody got any suggestions ? or better ideas

It only needs to be in place Mar to June I'm guessing ... after which they would have nested elsewhere.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

As someone thinks I'm messing up the world ... I have built these 2 outbuildings as a car port and boat shed, the swallows arrived, and deposited crap all over the boat, undesirable, unhygienic and certainly going to devalue the boat big time if I don't put a stop to it.

I let the 'little darlings' live, some suggested shooting them ... or at least blast daily with a hose - but having removed next when they migrated, I need to block their return.

This is not some barn from the middle ages that these birds have been roosting in for centuries ... this is a new building I put up on a bownfield site.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I suggest you refer them to Arkell v. Pressdram.

Reply to
Huge

I don't suppose you find it on eBay very much...

Reply to
polygonum

Might I repectfuly suggest that those distressed about the potential loss of nesting sites use their DIY skills to provide some extra nesting sites around their own residences?

Wish I could encourage house martins to nest - they were plentiful around my previous house at one time but I haven't seen them there for a decade or more although the house structure doesn't seem to have changed. All the houses in the row used to have nests.

Reply to
David WE Roberts