Fixing a toilet pan to a screed floor

I just took-out the toilet pan from our downstairs loo and was surprised to find it was bedded on concrete, it looked like they had mixed a pile on the screed and just pushed the pan down onto it so that underneath was completely full. It gave a very secure fixing but I haven't seen it done before, is it a common way of doing it?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

No, but it works, its cheap, and its very fast.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"NoSpam" wrote

Be careful with this! Some modern pans, mine included, have a very low bowl and the instructions specifically state that the pan should not be bedded on mortar! Presumably there is a real risk of cracking the bowl from below if any settlement or movement occurs. Just check for water pipes and, if clear, drill and fix the pan with rawl plugs and screws - mine came with fixing kit for this.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

That's what I'll be doing, I was just surprised to find a socking great lump of (very hard) concrete underneath.

NoSpam

My downstairs loo is the same.

Reply to
Steve Pearce

Mine was.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

It used to be. Remember that in times past the WC outlet was cemented into the drain socket, so any movement of the pan would have cracked it.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Alas yes on concrete floors, can be a right bugger to remove. I've found basin upstands the same.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yup, it withstood a lot of hammer and bolster violence before yielding.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam