Fitting an immersion heater

Due to the fact we ran out of Oil yesterday (should have checked!!) and it will be a couple of days to get a supply, one disadvantage to a Stanley, no heating hot water or cooking! carry-out and microwave it is then..... ,

I decided to use this opportunity to fit an immersion heater to the hot water tank, now remove the blanking plug that was fitted by a 20st gorilla in the factory, well after a spanner, hammer and a few curses, the tank appears to start distorting if I put pressure on it? I have come to the conclusion it is not going to come out without a fight! (1)

Anyone have any ideas how to get it out, preferably without replacing the tank as well? (2)

Des

(1) after the incident last year when I fitted a shower pump, and it turned out the cold water galvanised tank was more like a colander when the mud was disturbed thankyou insurance .

(2) Then the original hot water tank which had the immersian heater in it sprung a leak

ahh the pleasures of maintaining an old cottrage

Reply to
Dieseldes

Have you emptied it? Having it full of water can help prevent it from distorting while trying to undo the blanking plug. You could also try heating the blanking plug to free it up.

Alan

Reply to
AlanC

The threads are probably stuck with the old plumbers favourite "boss- white". An immersion ring spanner with a short handle and a 1.5lb hammer to apply impacts to the end of it while the cylinder is full and under pressure is the way to do it. You may have already creased the shell so its probably buggered now. You ought to have looked through the old threads in here - its been covered many times before.

Reply to
cynic

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 11:35:44 -0700, cynic mused:

You won't get an immmersion spanner on an immersion blanking plug.

Reply to
Lurch

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 07:45:01 -0700, AlanC mused:

You want to heat the metal around the plug, if you just heat the plug it will expand in the whole and be even more stuck.

Reply to
Lurch

It's still nearly full, and it's got insulation sprayed? on it. I have tried again but it does not want to shift it has thread tape wrapped round.

Though that gave me an idea, I am sure I have a spray freezer can somewhere, if I can find it that it may work, if not I think I will be back to plan B...

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

Reply to