Fiskar UPS

I've been given a Fiskar UPS. Its a PowerWorks 30/3.0 and comprises three units - a control unit, a battery pack and a mains unit, containing a whacking great toroidal transformer.
There are only two buttons on the front of the control unit, a red one with a minus sign on it, and a white one with a cup and dot symbol. Holding the latter in causes a self test light to come on, and pressing it again turns it off.
The thing beeps when I turn off the mains, and the fan in the control unit keeps running.
Does anyone have a manual for one of these? Is the fan meant to keep running all the time - its very noisy!
John
--
John Rouse

In two of my 4 UPS's the fans run slowly when mains is present, and whip round real fast when you remove the mains.
I think it is because these two are online UPS's so when the mains fails, there is no interruption to the supply - the cheaper smaller ones have a small interruption when the inverter in the unit is turned on, and then it's switched across - online ones have their inverters running all the time, so I guess these need some cooling.
Try connecting PowerWorks for the manual - http://www.powerworks.co.uk /
Sparks...

Unfortunately PowerWorks don't seem to be related to Fiskars - they were taken over by Exide, then by APC, who seem to have dropped the low end products in favour of their own brand stuff.
John
--
John Rouse

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:31:34 +0000, John Rouse

I thought APC were owned by Carpet World ?
I've had two UPS fail, they were both APCs, and they both went mad at weekends, boiled the batteries and dumped acid through the carpets. On a recent project they bought APC kit again (despite my warning) and it spewed over the cabling in the bottom of a rack.
-- Do whales have krillfiles ?