Fish Tape

I need to purchase a good quality 100 feet fish tape to lay cables in my house.

I have already experienced the difficulty of laying long cables even when done by professionals with iffy tapes.

The house is large, with garden, and long flexible (corrugated) conduit runs.

I see this fiber glass one:

a cheaper steel with nylon jacket one:

one should I get if price is not a consideration?

Any other that will be better?

Thanks,

Antonio

Reply to
asalcedo

I have a steel fish tape - and it's only marginally better than improvised wire pullers. Maybe fibreglass ones are better.

However looking at the screwfix range:

(rather expensive) kit stood out as having a few innovations:

's a glowing review too - but does sound a bit like it was written by the manufacturer)

Reply to
RubberBiker

I hope the flexible conduit has been laid in straight runs. I doubt you'll be able to pull a cable around any bend. I found that out when putting a single Cat5 through some of that stuff no way was it going through unless the conduit was virtually straight. Lubrication might help but I wouldn't like to put any money on it.

I have a plain steel fish tape works well enough. I suspect that the rods might be better, though I'd look closely are how they join together. What is awful is a nylon one it "remembers" it's coiled up state and always wants to be like that fing useless in floor voids and jams in ducting...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It is near imposible to push a rod around any meaningful bend.

Yes, the cable runs are quite straight with plenty of junction boxes in between.

Reply to
asalcedo

IME, I find that the fibreglass rods are actually far more useful that the tapes. Something like :

a basic set.

There are more elaborate ones as well:

you do go for a tape, make sure it is one on a spool - the coils of nylon tape without are unmanageable!

Reply to
John Rumm

Some good prices here although stock isn't as comprehensive as Screwfix etc.:

Cicero

The rods will not go around bends.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The coils of nylon cords do have 2 advantages though

If you hit a bend in conduit and you then can twist the cord whilst pushing it, it usually clears the bend.

  1. If you want a pull cord inserting through a small hole that you want to grab from the other side (eg through a ceiling into the loft in the eaves) the natural self coiling mechanism of the cord means that it is usually easy enough to grab with rods that have a hook on the end.

Adam

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth