Filling plasterboard holes

Removed a radiator.

Holes in PB from 15mm pipework. Holes a little over-sized and rough.

These seem too small for a normal plasterboard patch + skim, but look a bit big for a a simple filler like you'd use on screw/nail sized holes. Concerned that filler would slump and not work properly.

Considering cutting out a small square, and doing a normal PB patch 'n' skim.

Is that overkill? Can I just fill the the thing?

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Make it a stiff mix and don't try to complete in one pass, though with a stiff enough mix you might get away with one pass. Squidge the first load in but leave a small depression and roughen the surface to provide a key for the second pass. Probably worth leaving a good

24hrs between first and second so you don't push the middle out with the second pass.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Best way I have found is to insert a piece of PB or wood behind the hole. You need to cut a strip longer than the hole but narrower (so it will pass through). Tie a bit of string round the middle and poke it through - hold onto the end of the string!! Then pull it back up. Oh, forgot to say coat it with PVA first so it will stick to the back of your wall. Tie the string to a weight to hold in place for 1/2 hr till the PVA sets, then fill as normal, or cut a small piece of PB to fit and glue it in. Obviously finish off with filler.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Thats the best option IME. It will slump, so just allow for it on the first fill. Doing it like that can take 3 goes each a day apart, but if youre not in a big rush its the easiest and cheapest option.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Tabby

Yup - I've managed a hole in the ceiling that was about 1"x2" by building up the edges to be sloping and rough, leaving to dry and repeating. Took 3 stages plus the final smooth bit but, if you have the time, it works.

Reply to
PeterC

I wanted to leave a bit of clearance round a hot water pipe, so I taped a plastic sleeve round it, greased the plastic, and filled up to it. Removed the sleeve when set, so I now have a neat but slightly oversized hole to allow for expansion.

Reply to
stuart noble