Filling old screw holes in walls

Whenever I try to force Polyfilla into a screw hole prior to redecoration, it is hard to get the stuff IN the hole, because the air inside keeps bubbling out! I keep meaning to find a way of getting the filler into the hole, but has anyone got a trick here?
MM
Use something like 'Nonails' and use the nozzle to inject it from the back of the hole slowly moving the nozzle out as it fills.
Mike P

I've used a flexible decorator's sealant injecting as described above, when it sets it usually leaves a slight indentation that you can then fill with a fine surface filler, works a treat for me.
Martin

Use a drill bit or similar shaped thingy, slightly smaller diameter than the hole, to poke it in with. Also, I find Artex better than Polyfilla, and way cheaper, and it's also great for sticking coving up :-)
--
Alan Shilling
Remove packaging from e-mail address before replying

Better than the white bonding stuff used for plasterboarding?
Knock a larger hole in the wall and use a putty knife or paint scraper to patch small screw holes.

Are you trying to fill a hole in a pressure container? ;-) I've never experienced this. Perhaps you're just mixing it too runny.
--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:41:09 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

No, the problem is the air inside the hole. Take any hole (within reason!). There's air in it. Now try to force Polyfilla in. It "hydraulics" back out again! It's the devil's own job to get some to stay in the hole. That said, I have bought a cake icing decorating kit for 69 pence from Wilkinsons and this has a pointy nozzle with a small hole at the tip. I intend to poke a drinking straw through the nozzle, fill the bag with filler, poke the contraption into the hole so that the straw bottoms out, and s-q-u-e-e-z-e!
Normally, I wouldn't make such a song and dance of it (but if I did, my choice would be Ian Dury and the Blockheads' "There Ain't Half Been Some Clever Bastards"), but I have quite a number of these holes to fill and I want minimal after-sanding when the filler has set.
I'll keep you posted as to the efficacy of the process - for which Mike P must take the credit, as he was the one who gave me the idea in the first place.
MM
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:54:52 +0000, Mike Mitchell

Do you do Christmas cakes as well ? :-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:54:52 +0000, Mike Mitchell wrote:

Whilst the trapped air is the root cause of the problem it can be overcome with a stiffer mix that resists the tiny bit of air pressure.
Polyfilla does need to be quite stiff, certainly too sloppy if there is any hint of dripping or moving under it's own weight.

With a stiff mix you can treat it a bit like plaster. Wait for it to set a bit then use a wet trowel to remove the excess. With a stiff mix you don't need to overfill either as it stays where it is put. Needs virtually no sanding afterwards just a quick sweep over with a sheet of medium to de-nib more than anything else.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

But once you've pushed the air out it stays out?
Can't say I've ever had a problem with this.
--
*Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.*