Fence Posts

Looking to install some new fence panels in existing concrete posts. Just measures between the posts and they are exactly 6 feet apart 183cm. with 2.5cm deep channels in the posts. Todays standard pannels are 180cm wide,so i will have 2 cm of play. Is this safe or would a strong wind blow out the panels. If so i guess i need to make custom panels, Where can i get the very thin pieces of wood required and what is the term to describe the word, i.e its not feather board. Thanks

Reply to
Chris Crinkle

You will need that 2cm of play, you might even need to trim the panels to drop them in.

The +/- tolerance on wany lap panels is huge!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You simply buy tiling batten (which comes ready treated and is cheap as chips) and slip a vertical length down the groove in the post (one per panel is normally enough, but one each side of the panel might be needed if the gap is still too much. When in position run a few screws into pre drilled clearance holes in the fence panel through into the battening. The drilled holes stop the panel splitting. I use screws to reduce the effect of hammering nails in which can break the panel as they are so flimsy these days. When fitted the battens can hardly be seen as they are in the recesses of the post.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Just nail an extra batten or 2 on the edge of the panels?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Indeed. If you've got a table saw, you can easily cut thin slivers off a larger section.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You will need some clearance to get the new panels fitted in the slots of the posts, I know, as I have recently put up a new concrete post fence and panels, as I didn't have just enough clearance on the first panel.

Reply to
Bob H

Have you tried other suppliers/measured what they offer? AIUI this is one product where Imperial is still common precisely because of all the posts set at 6 foot intervals. So many panels are in practice a nominal

183cm. See eg

Robin

You can still get 6ft panels - I just did, and went to check when I read your message. Except one which was a tight fit, they all went into the existing posts without difficulty or slopping around. (I used these:

but there are lots of others. I timed it well - the prices have been increased.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson