FCU in bathroom

Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Think so - as long as there's a switch outside the bathroom or a pull-switch inside - but not one on the FCU itself. It's the way that electric towel rails seem to be connected in TravelLodges, etc. [1]

[1] Or maybe how they *used* to do it. They don't seem to use electric towel rails at all now, and the outlets are blanked off. Maybe the regs have changed - or maybe they just want to save electricity?!
Reply to
Roger Mills

We've got switches for the bathroom underfloor heating and towel rail. Both in the airing cupboard. All installed in the last 6 months.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Where is it going to be placed in regard to the bath or shower? More than 3 metres from the bath/shower, and you can fit a socket outlet. Less than that, and it will have to be a non-switched FCU, and outside of the bath/shower zones. It must be RCD protected. And be suitable for use in a bathroom.

Reply to
A.Lee

* FCU Federal Credit Union ***** FCU Florida Credit Union **** FCU Fan Coil Unit **** FCU Fuel Control Unit **** FCU Flexor Carpi Ulnaris **** FCU Flight Control Unit *** FCU Familial Cold Urticaria *** FCU Fire Control Unit *** FCU Flow Control Unit ** FCU Field Camera Unit ** FCU Fare Construction Unit (airfare) ** FCU Field Communication Unit ** FCU Feedback Control Unit ** FCU Fuel Consumption Unit * FCU Filter/Combiner Unit * FCU Fussball Club Unterstrass (Zurich, Swiss soccer club) * FCU Fluid Cooling Unit * FCU Foals and Calves University (gaming) * FCU Formation Continue Universitaire (French: Continuing Education University) * FCU Foster Care Unit (various locations) * FCU Fukuyama City University (Hiroshima, Japan) * FCU Fused Connection Unit * FCU Financial Credit Union (various locations) * FCU Feng Chia University (Taiwan) * FCU Ferrovia Centrale Umbra (Italian: Umbrian Central Railway) * FCU Fact Checkers Unit (web series) * FCU Faith Community United (various locations)
Reply to
F Murtz

Blimey you people have got it tough,Almost every modern bathroom in Australia has a GPO (general purpose outlet)(power point)or two

Reply to
F Murtz

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yup so long as its appropriate for the situation, and in zone 2 or outside the zones.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Tim Streater writes

My understanding is that outside of the zones, switched FCU's are allowed.

Supported by this pdf on the TLC site.

Though personally feel happier with the switches out of the way in a cupboard where possible

Reply to
chris French

Strangely missed off the top of the list (it looked like he was quoting from a google search results page where that was at the top of the first page).

Reply to
Johny B Good

Is that for plugging in the beer cooler or the little vacuum device for sucking up spiders?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

They seem to be stripping out as much as they can. It'll be 'bring your own bed' next.

&/or penis/ego enlargement...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I was in Iceland a couple of weeks ago. The bathroom was a wet room cubicle thing (cheapo hotel). The light switch in the cubicle was also an electric al outlet. Every morning I would be standing in about quarter of an inch of water groping around the socket trying to find the light switch (heck, you could have used the switch whilst taking a shower if you were insane enoug h).

We really are odd with our OTT bathroom leccy safety in the UK.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Only ELV switchgear and isolated shaver sockets are allowed in Zone 2, so a mains FCU must be beyond the zones.

If the appliance to be connected is portable its flex may need to be shortened to prevent it being placed in any Zone, although it could be allowed in Zone 2 if it meets IPX4, and is otherwise suitable for the location (check with manufacturer).

And the feeding circuit must be 30 mA RCD-protected, or upgraded thereto.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Just put acronym FCU in bing and that is what I got but I did find out be putting FCU electrical on bing,I think it must be a British thing.

Reply to
F Murtz

Don't you have women there? ours would go mad without somewhere to plug the hair drier in.(and shavers for the men)

Reply to
F Murtz

Most here would understand what it is. This being a UK DIY group by the title.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup, my mistake, ELV and IPX4...

Reply to
John Rumm

We really are odd in electrocuting a much smaller percentage of the population each year ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm