externally insulated wall - battens required ?

I am planning insulate an external stud wall with celotex-type board, between the structure and the plywood facing. It is suggested to fix battens through the insulation board and attach the plywood to the battens, but this will add another inch to my wall width. Can I just omit the battens, and fix the plywood with screws straight through to the studs ? Simon.

Reply to
Simon