exploding batteries in mp3 player

Just took a 'mo to actually read an addendum sticker in my mp3 players "manual". It says "leaving the battery in place while using the player connected to the computer for a long time could lead to dammage or explosion of the battery"! It does not define what a "long tome" is.

The battery is an alkaline (ie non-rechargable) aaa. I *guess* this warning is because it is a non-rechargable battery , and somehow gets charging current to it in some way from the computer usb port? I know when connected to the computer, the player does indeed get it power from the usb port.

Would the "problem" go away if I simply used a rechargable battery in there? (Or would that damamge the player?) Thanks

Reply to
dave

War and Peace?

Reply to
Richard Conway

Simple enough. Leave it plugged in and check the temperature of the battery at intervals. It will have to be pretty hot to "explode".

Problem with rechargables is they are a slightly lower voltage and have almost no internal resistance, so can damage cheaper circuitry, unless designed for them.

Having said that I have always used them even when it said not.

Reply to
EricP

Me too; loads of times, in loads of gadgets, and I have never to my knowledge suffered damaged circuitry or an explosion.

David

Reply to
Lobster

As long as you stick to music, rather than audio books...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Me Too. MY MP3 player (MSI megastick) runs fine on a NiMH AAA, for almost as long as it's supposed to on an alkaline. No charging current on USB though AFAIK - a test may be in order tomorrow in work as I can stick a thermocouple in there.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Thatnks Rice.

Reply to
dave

The tpyo joke has been done - thanks anyway.

Actually a "long tome" is a bit of an oxymoron isn't it? (Can one have a "bit" of an oxymoron). :-)

Reply to
dave

Mmm if there's no "charging" current, where does the energy come from in any

*possible* explosion I wonder. I very much doubt that even if an AAA was short-circuited for hours it would explode.
Reply to
dave

Don't you mean tautology?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I suspect he does. It certainly isn't an oxymoron, anything but!

Reply to
Richard Conway

There are too many layers. The guy that actually designed it. His manager. The people that actually constructed it, probably with some substitutions. The manual writers. Marketing. The translators.

Eventually, it can get far enough from the guy that designed it that the actual manual text bears little relation to reality. This can especially be the case with some MP3 players that the firm that puts it together may not have actually done the design, but just be using a standard circuit published by the maker, with the only 'innovation' being in the paint colour.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You suspect wrong!

(sigh) - but is it a "bit" of (a long) one? Geddit - yet!

Reply to
dave

I checked this out on mine yesterday. It turned out to be a more thorough test than I thought as the battery was flat to start with. The temperature in the battery compartment reached 25 degC (ambient was

20-21), however the battery did not charge enough to switch the player on even briefly after 3 hours. On this model you have to plug it in to the USB and then press the button before it works in memory stick mode.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges