Exploding shed

real DIY ;-)

whisky-dave

In message , whisky-dave writes

Those shelves look like the boltless type I bought a few months ago. Glad to see they withstood the blast. Love the roof coming back to land :-)

Reply to
Graeme

OK so what ignited the vapour then ? ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Well does nobody understand about the mixture of gas, ie vapour and aire and the application of a spark or flame to that mixture. Have they never fillled a tin with gas, secured the lid, punched a hole in the bottom and lit it? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Oh, happy memories of school physics lessons. :)

KABOOM! and the tin lid hits the ceiling....

Reply to
mick

Ah! Calcium carbide!

Reply to
nomail

Chemistry, surely?

Reply to
Huge

... or, in our case, the chemistry teacher; who due to the sunlight thought the flame had gone out when it hadn't and bent forward to take a closer look!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

In lower 6th, if we weren't taking English, we had to do a useless 2 lessons a week of "Use of English." We all had to present short lectures and one of our class did a lecture on chemistry. We were thrown outside after gunpowder and hydrogen/oxygen. The lecture concluded outside with Acetylene/Oxygen and Ammonium tri-iodide. Our somewhat camp teacher stood quivering and exclaiming about the noise.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I did that. Can't recall what we did for it, though.

In my case, it was the 'A' Level Chemistry teacher who did the explosions.

Reply to
Huge

Or this guy. He gave a lecture in RLT1 once, and I was there.

Bob Eager

My 'A' Level Chemistry class did a field trip to see him at Bristol University.

Reply to
Huge

It was required for entry to some universities in the 1960s - even if you had GCSE English O level(s).

Reply to
Robin

I'm not *that* old! I entered University in 1973.

Reply to
Huge

up. Oxford and Camrdige at least wouldnt take you if you didnt understand basic Latin and couldnt read and wrote and express yourself clearly in English.

Use of English meant you could write a decent grammatically correct and reasonably coherent essay - or report. Since almost all academics need to write stuff up, it wasn't such a stupid requirement.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Steady the buffs!

That's only 4 years after "the 1960s". Things in (some) universities didn't change fast. Use of English might still have been required then. After all, Oxford required Latin until 1960.

Reply to
Robin

Well beyind that IIRC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As kids we found an old 5 gallon drum that had been used to store petrol. We happily lit the fumes at the open filler. No problem. Fun actually.

Roll on a few years, I hired a rotavator and having finished with it threw the rest of the petrol over some nettles followed by a match. Now that was exciting. Near lost my eyebrows.

Reply to
fred

My typo. I meant "1960s". I don't recall just when.

Reply to
Robin

I took the entrance in 68 IIRC..needed them both I think.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher