etching glass ?

Anyone know how I can etch a small glass worktop saver cheaply to stop stray reflections ? - I want to make myself a new "pro" mouse mat :-}

TIA :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Three methods are available.

Sandblasting which is easy if you know someone with the gear.

Hydrofluoric acid which is deadly and should be steered clear of.

And a harmless chemical that attacks part of the glass and gives a fine etch to it. Sadly I don't remember it's name. Sorry :(

Reply to
EricP

Hmm not an option that had occurred to me - one worthy of further investigation :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Nope :-(

I knew there was an acid that did it, but couldn't remember what it was - it's probably also a biatch to get hold of...

Some of the DIY shops do an "etch" spray, but I suspect it's a plastic sprayover layer, rather than a proper etch solution...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In message , EricP writes

Well, if he can get to Watford, I have

the stuff you use for etching car windows

Reply to
geoff

What sandpaper abrasive's harder than glass?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Colin Wilson coughed up some electrons that declared:

It's very very nasty. Not at all like conc. nitric or sulphuric. Something about where the fluoride ions go after they hit your skin - and how fast...

Apparently involves having appendages amputated if not flushed off quicky. Not a chemist - just read the safety leaflet once.

google "hydrofluoric acid burns"

I'm totally mad, but I wouldn't go near the stuff.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Can't help re. the etching...but I use a finely textured wall tile ( free sample ) and an optical mouse.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

As a youngster I used to grind the surface of glass for photographic purposes using another bit of glass and a paste of Vim-type scourer. Worked a treat.

A glass worktop saver might be a bit tougher, so you may have to resort to ordinary glass. No harm in experimenting though.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Yep. Spot on.

Think it attacks the silica in the glass

Reply to
EricP

Years ago I was walking around a Clarke-Eaton glass factory and was shown the blasting section where one little man did the artistic stuff and good he was. But next to him was a large sheet of glass, flat on the floor. It had a putty like stuff making an edging to dam a liquid that had been poured over it. There it was right by the walkway, no signs, nothing. Any passer could have triped and fallen right in it. It was HF acid. :))

Reply to
EricP

'fraid i'm up in Liverpool - it'd be cheaper to buy a vastly=20 overpriced =A330 "gaming pad" than the cost of the petrol :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Dunno about harmless, but ammonium bifluoride will do the job and is much safer than HF:

SiO2 (s) + 4[NH4][HF2] (aq) ? SiF4 (l) + 4[NH4]F (aq) + 2H2O (l)

Andy Wade

almost any. glass is soft. T cut would probably work..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Stained glass suppliers will carry 'etching cream' which does just what you want to do... (maybe) An example is here

- search for 'etch' - but it's £15 + vat for a far bigger tub than you'd ever want.

The etching process does leave the glass slightly rough to the touch - don;t know if that will affect your mouse 'slideability'.

I don't know if the cream contains Hydroflouric acid - but whatever it contains, it's covered with elfin safety warnings - take great care with it - they're not joking!

Your friendly local glass supplier might be able to sand-blast it for you - or use some very fine wet-and-dry paper with water. Problem will be in getting a uniform finish (whatever technique you use)

You used to be able to get 'non-reflective' glass - picture-framers used it - might be worth asking - you might get an offcut for next-to-nothing

- but you'd need to treat the cut edges to take off the sharpness

If you were over her in Ireland then I could probably help - but postage between here & there is a killer !

Regards Adrian -

Adrian

"tougher", hum, A worktop saver might be toughened glass as well, medium risk of it just falling apart once you start to abrade one surface or at some random time afterwards...

Probably better to get a couple of sheets of ordinary 6mm plate glass, some mild abrasive (Vim etc has been mentioned) and water. Rounding the edges or radusing the corners would probably be better done by a proper glass merchant who may as well frost it as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You still can.

Reply to
Huge

I've watched a glass merchant make a sheet of PAR (Polished All Round) and he did the edges with a fine grindstone - like you would use to sharpen a chisel. I'd be quite happy to do it myself now, although this doesn't help the OP.

(Also cutting glass; Having watched the glass chappie do it, I'm much happier about doing it myself.)

Reply to
Huge

To be honset, go and by a sqquare of frosted toughened glass anyway. It's not THAT exepsnive. Hacing had 6 sheets of std. glass just break under its own weight because here was a seat rail infer the dog rug in the boot, anything other than toughened should NOT be allowed in a house.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Rounding the

Round) and he

It would be a relatively soft bond (*)carborundum wheel - quite probably a rubber bonded wheel rather than a vitrious one. If you use a hard bonded wheel it'll end in tears

(*) the bond of the wheel is what is used to hold the abrasive grains into a matrix, so 'soft' refers to the holding together power rather than the hardness of the grains themself.

AWEM

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson