Estimate heater efficiency

Hi everyone

I'd like to estimate the working efficiency of a gas heater. Googling and checking sedbuk reveals no figures hence an approx estimate would be good.

It has a heavy cast iron exchanger that takes a while to heat up. Otoh it is modulated down to a low setting, maybe 1/4 max output at most, and does not cycle at all.

How to estimate the efficiency that results form this I cant calculate or guess.

Thanks,

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Floor/wall? Gas heater/gas boiler? Balanced, conventional or fan flue?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Wall mounted space heater, blanced flue.

Cheers

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You can easily get the input power by measuring the gas rate at the meter and converting the volume measurement into kWH for an hour's usage (conversion rate will be on your gas bill).

Measuring the output power is harder. Best I can think of is to substitute it for a 2kW electric heater and see if the heating effect on the room is the same, given same outside temperature, etc.

Bear in mind the efficiency might change quite a bit over the modulation range, so you will probably have to forcibly run it at max or min to ensure it doesn't changed during the measurement period.

I used to have a Drugasar gas wall heater which peaked at 3.5kW and modulated down to a very low level. It was incredibly accurate at setting the room temperature (kept it to within

0.1C which was the resolution of my thermometer) after I had pulled the phile out from behind it and clipped it just below in the air intake.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel