Estimate thermal efficiency of house

Now that I've got my smart thermostat in operation if can see from the app the loungw temperature and the external temperature.

For the past 4hrs the outside temp has gone from 10decC to 9degC whereas the lounge temperature has dropped from 20degC to 19.5degC.

The heating, set for 19degC, has obviously not kicked in yet.

Can I deduce anything meaningful about the heat losses in the lounge? The rest of the house will not be dissimilar.

Reply to
AnthonyL

No, air temp is mostly controlled by masonry temp, which is controlled very slowly by air temp. So it tells you jack.

Reply to
Animal

Probably not much you can deduce in a hurry from just a small set of temperature data - there are too many variables, and the response of the building might need to be measured in days not hours.

You could make an analytical stab at heat loss calcs:

Basically looking at the construction, and form that deducing a rate of energy loss for a given temperature differential. That may let you identify if there are any easy gains that you could get in performance.

Reply to
John Rumm

Looks excellent - but for some reason the Excel file isn't downloading - just redirects to the front page.

I was thinking of doing a basic 'heat loss audit' with a thermal camera (MLX90640 I've yet to build). I was put in touch with a local university bod who basically told me not to bother as it requires a properly calibrated camera, and full knowledge of the variables with measurements taken over long and properly defined periods. Do you have a view?!

Reply to
RJH

Might have been a casualty from when the

pages were "retired" in favour of just keeping the wiki.diyfaq.org.uk site?

I can't see the spreadsheet anywhere in the file list page, maybe John's got an offline copy somewhere?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes also localisation is a thing. I still get more loss through a double glazed window than a non cavity wall here. This can set up a draught of course. I'm sure new window designs and some wall treatment might help but in rooms where things are screwed to walls and window replacement would make one heck of a mess..... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yup the links were pointing at the old www. site.

I have changed the list of allowed document types on the wiki to now include Excel, Word, and Powerpointless (in their original and .???x versions) - so you can now upload those file types in addition to the normal image file formats and PDFs.

I have uploaded the sheets and fixed the links in this article as well.

(I will do another post about the new upload formats for others not reading this thread)

Of course... I think Geoff was also taking a weekly backup of the content of the site.

There is a PDF grab of the whole FAQ site as of Jan this year when it was retired:

(That is linked right at the top of the main wiki landing page)

Reply to
John Rumm

No. You might be able to when the outside temperature is -10C and you are prepared to turn all heating off inside and see how slowly the temperature falls over say 5 degrees from a nominal start of 20C.

And then how quickly the heating on full bore can bring it back up to

20C once it has fallen to 15C. You want a huge temperature difference with the outside temperature, a still day and no external doors opened during the test.

I calibrated the VH electric heaters that way so that we could estimate the right time to turn them on ready for a hire. No point in heating an empty building (beyond frost stat levels) with electricity so expensive!

Reply to
Martin Brown

Works a trreat now, thanks very much.

Reply to
RJH

You could just use a optimising stat - they learn the building characteristics, and turn the heating on in advance. So if you program it to say I want it at 20 from 6pm, it will look at the history, and the current temp, and may decide that means heating on at 4pm to hit the target by 6.

Reply to
John Rumm