Not through wartime, just mean parents.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Not Luddites, Mary - LEDdites

Reply to
geoff

Evangalism is about right Bob. Kids are being brainwashed about ecology, global warming, carbon emmissions, five a day vegetables, passive smoking, alcohol, healthy eating, political correctness, homosexuality, you name it - instead of being taught to think for themselves.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , Grumps writes

My short sight is going a bit (in poor light) and being vain! I can't be bothered to always get the glasses out. Low Energy (which we have quite a few) is fine for general light but I can't read in them and often need to turn a real light on (tungsten) to be able to focus. It may not just be the number of lumens but also the spectrum which makes it feel a heck of a lot brighter for not many watts (and how many watts does it cost to make and recycle a low energy lamp particularly if we start using more of them to be able to see?)

Reply to
John

Which is another indication of the whole thing being a combination of political motivation and influence of the brainwashed on this whole lightbulb game.

The assumption is made that the first three items on your list are a given and that there is a need to save energy. Then there is an assumption that everyone must individually take part or actually

*wants* to take part with all other issues being secondary.

Once you have done that, you can dish out any old nonsense and back it up with a crappy implementation and still believe that the end justifies the means.

When that fails, as it patently is, the discussion about compulsion through legislation begins.

At least one didn't *have* to have the NHS spectacles. Now it seems that we do in order to be able to see properly. Clearly this year's models are green tinted.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I am sure I can't be the only one to have never knowingly bought a softone lamp... so it does have the hint of deception about it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Colour wise, I have been quite impressed with these:

a bunch of them in the neighbours kitchen - above and below the top units just using up and downlighting. Makes for a very even diffuse light that is really nice to work in, with no shadows.

Not an energy saving measure mind you since by the time we had racked up a lap above and below we were up to about 200W. (over and under lights separately switched)

Reply to
John Rumm

I do have one - a large globe type above the dining table. On its own dimmer. Normally dimmed when in use - after all you don't want guests to see what they're eating.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Given that it didn't finish until July 1954(*), a lot of people experienced it (including me) but may well not remember (including me).

(* A fine example of the way that once the Government gets involved in something it's very, very hard to get them out again.)

Reply to
Huge

I neeed to paraphrase that remark: I experienced and remember rationing. My wife (six months younger than me) definitely experienced it but (claims) that she can't remember it1

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Sorry, I forgot the smiley - I assume that's what you meant!

Reply to
Huge

In message , Derek Geldard writes

I agree, but their bulbs are bright.

Reply to
Si

And not modern :-)

Rarely in the bigger rooms. There's no point. We don't really like the effect and we only need spot lighting. Most often in the dining room we use only candles at the table.

We don't 'stand and wait' :-)

We don't shave.

A light bulb has never promised me anything. That applies to all types - nor have gas lights, candle lights, oil lights ...

I admit that we rarely wander round the sitting room once we're sitting down - my doing needlework, he reading. It only happens for about an hour on most evenings. We're happy to be limited. But size isn't the criterion, the mount of light is. If it's adequate and directed to our task we don't need more. We both wear spectacles because of age related conditions and can't see properly in dim conditions - but we don't have those conditions :-)

If he's building a new model he uses a light above his work table, as I do in my workroom. If he's sewing he uses the machine's inbuilt light.

There used to be seven of us, all with very different projects, we still rarely used the ceiling light even then - except that the db player took her instrument into the bathroom, the designer worked in the garage (with directional lights rather than a single overhead one).

There are answers to all of those, a ceiling light isn't one.

When he drops, for instance, a box of pins he's not happy until he's got them all. To help find them he doesn't switch on the 'big' light because it's too far away. He keeps a tiny led torch in his pocket for such times. And uses a magnet of course, before anyone says he should. Not all pins respond to a magnet though ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Party on dude! :-)

Reply to
Grumps

The best parties are held in the dark - trouble is, it's rarely 100% dark in a house with a window.

When I used to want it dark for film processing it took ages to get it like that. when a Japanese film company came here to film us they taped down all the curtains - sides, middles, tops, bottoms - before switching on their incredibly bright lights! I really didn't think that a pinhole would have spoilt the shots but apparently it would make it less than perfect.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I certainly remember my mother handling the books of stamps. It was quite complicated.

You can say that again, it took a great deal of campaigning to get it ended. For instance Mr Cube, (IE Tate & Lyle) produced free ration book wallets with messages on the side encouraging everybody to press the government to take sugar off the ration. The government wanted to keep it rationed because it had to be paid for in US dollars, and of course because of the natural inclination of the Labour government to want everybody to be forced to come cap in hand to them for food by keeping it out of the country if necessary. Their attitude is similar to their provision of new and improved roads nowadays.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

A great deal of ignorance abounds, which is being taken advantage of by the Greenwash Zealots and those in a position to make either money or political kudos out of the issue, or all three. Take for example the following which is copied from a posting in a new thread in uk.politics.misc

**********************************

"Yep, they have a "choke", which uses lots of power at start up, like a car, then as it heats up it needs less power.

I was wondering about spot lights or whatever they're called. (little flat very bright things). We've got them in both bathrooms and the kitchen, yet I've never seen an energy saving one."

*********************************

I have known better informed mushrooms.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Well, lenses aren't perfect so potential high spots of light are best eliminated lest they raise the overall level of flare in the lens. This can be removed electronically but this reduces the contrast in the blacks.

Depending on the camera on a still shot it might not have looked so bad per-se, it would be peak white, but a peak white spot is just that, plenty of domestic objects cause flares, such as pen tops and spectacle rims, if necessary they can change the shot to exclude it.

All TV camera tubes change light into electrons. In some tubes an excessive quantity of electrons is not discharged in real time and remains stored. If you pan across an over bright light spot with one of those it leaves a persistent trail that takes seconds to fade, the so-called Comet's tail. That would not be acceptable in shot.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Bloody politicians...

Grumps

I bet they did. it would have worked wonders had it been left on

That's different. They achieved the same thing with healthcare instead and continue to do so

Reply to
Andy Hall