emersion heater

I intend to remove the emersion tank and the header in the loft. What can I replace it with? It must be elec and able to feed at least four basins plus other items.

Reply to
raclyqm

In message , snipped-for-privacy@fanhhnaf.com writes

An immersion heater?

Reply to
geoff

It depends on what the "other items" are.

If you want to get rid of the roof header tank *and* the hot water cylinder then if you want to be able to obtain any reasonable flow of water suitable (e.g.) for a bath, then you would need a fairly chunky instantaneous electric heater.

This would need to have a power rating of 20kW at least (the small electric showers go up to about 10kW), so you are probably talking about a three phase electricity supply, which can be expensive to have put in.

One manufacturer that I know of who makes this kind of water heater is Stiebel Eltron, although I am sure that there are others. According to the manufacturer's spec., a 27kW model will deliver about 14 litres per minute at 38 degrees (shower temperature) starting from 10 degrees. That is about enough for one very good shower.

This type of appliance will also almost certainly need to be professionally fitted.

If you can keep space for a cylinder, then you could go for a pressurised one like Heatrae Sadia. That gets over the problem of needing a lot of power input because it will use an immersion heater or heaters to heat a large volume of water. You could certainly do away with the roof tank in this case and also run it on off peak electricity. This type of cyinder is installed by a BBA or IoP approved installer or you have to involved building control at your local authority

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

If the issue is that you want the space currently occupied by the HW cylinder, then you could put a pressurised cylinder like the Sadia in the roof space instead, assuming that you have enough height.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You obviously need some form of instant water heater which just supplies hot water as needed. In practice, these don't exist for electricity - you'll need gas. The only practical way to heat water by electricity and provide a decent flow rate is to store it.

Since you have a loft, is there room for the 'immersion tank' up there? The storage tank feeding it doesn't need to be much higher, and 'immersion tanks' are available in different shapes and sizes to fit awkward locations.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

This would be a large tank of water with the electric heating on the outside where it's nice and dry?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Thanks for all your replies. It looks like i will have to stay with what i have. I have the space but hoped i could have sim to the gas heater i have seen at friends homes.

Reply to
raclyqm

Try an electrically heated heat bank.

IMM

setup (or less if the OP has a separate cold water tank that would no longer be needed), but would provide mains pressure hot water that is even safe to drink.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

P.S. if you heat your water electrically, you are far better getting a large tank and heating it using Economy 7. It is a fraction of the price of daytime electricity.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

More info is required to conclude anything.

Reply to
IMM