Emergency generator question

Page 2 of 3
"Dave Liquorice" wrote Owain wrote: |> My main difficulty is the tv.|Who *needs* TV, there are such things as books, cards, board games etc.
I don't enjoy or even have cards or board games, and reading is difficult in insufficient light. The tv is a difficulty because the reception is outside my control.
|> I have a battery radio and tv (and a box of 20 D batteries I got |> cheap from government surplus)|And their "Use by:" date is?
Well, I bought them in case bad things happened with the Millennium Bug :-) But they still have electric in them because I have two torches running on the same batch.
|> I am also dependent on electric for cooking.|Thats the one you really need to take care of. Get a small Camping Gaz |stove.
Requires gas cylinder storage which isn't allowed in my flat. If the chippie isn't open I guess I have to go to bed hungry :-( Unless I can beg off a gas-cooker equipped neighbour.
Owain
@stirlingcity.co.uk says...

What exactly isn't allowed? I guess they don't allow lpg cylinders but do they specify the small camping cylinders, Gaz, Coleman etc? You could get a Trangia, meths stove, or a multifuel stove, take a look at Primus, if your lease does excludes *all* gas cylinders. Just having the ability to boil a kettle for two or three days is useful.
Colin
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 15:03:33 +0100, Colin Blackburn wrote:

I'd be surprised if camping gaz type gas clinders are excluded but it does depend on the extact wording of the lease though. I should imagine it's designed to stop the storeage of red/blue propane/butane cylinders it may catch all compressed gas though. Wonder how they deal with gas cigarette lighters?

Agreed, which is worse a container of compressed gas, a container of refined petrol (Coleman fuel is basically petrol), a container of meths or a couple of boxes metahaldyed(sp!) solid fuel (not that you'd want to use that inside it does pong a bit).

Almost essential, a hot drink, washing etc.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Owain wrote:
But power cuts here are rare and short-lived, usually related to aged

Not round here they aren't. Usually related o large trees falling across overhad lines. Usually takes a minimum of a coule of hours to clear, if its just isolate/remove/switch on, or up to several days if lines are actually broken in several places.

Install an emergency light which comes on if the power fails. These give light for up to 3 hours typically, and if positioned in the hall or landing can give enough light to find your way to the candles or beer supply.
Example:
http://tinyurl.com/lw7n
PoP
says...

I'm already there. Off the grid with two wind turbines, batteries, inverters and three (the previous occupant did nothing by half) diesel generators---should the wind fail, coal/wood fire with back boiler providing non-pumped heating to bedroom radiators, oil and lpg cooking, and some oil heating (CH and stove). And, plenty of fuel stocks for the winter.
Colin
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote | > What is the power cut season? | Last year, December 10th was almost... UK came with 3 minutes | of having to start load shedding (in the South East apparently) | because not enough power was being generated to meet demand.
I read in the paper this weekend that the Scottish Grid, currently administered by the two generators ScottishPower and Scottish Hydro Electric, is going to be brought under the control of England.
I am starting to get worried...
Owain
Owain wrote:

small windmill in the garden?

Ahh .. the joys of a 'free market' - just like the railways ............
Ain't politics wonderful.

For multiple reasons, those involved in the industry expect our electricity supply to significantly reduce in reliability over the coming years. However, you can certainly blame them all on politics.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On 2 Sep 2003 00:10:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Cue 1970's.....Arthur Scargill is around someplace.
PoP
"I've been thinking about getting one of those small petrol driven generators" [..]
don't bother, buy more candles and thermal clothing (c;
if you want to use a gen work out what your power requirements are, heating pump, fridge, freezer, lighting, tv or whatever and add some.
my 2.2kw gen barely powers a kettle (c;
Les
"But it wouldn't - a kettle is close on 3kW!!" [..]
that's some kettle you got there then, ours is a mere 2kw )c;
Les

Shirley better to consider heating water in the microwave during an outage isn't it? Can't remember the power consumption of a microwave but I thought it was relatively small compared with a kettle.
PoP

I don't think the magnetrons in domestic microwaves ever exceed 50% efficiency. The waste heat is blown through the food compartment too, but I doubt much actually goes into the food/water -- it's mostly wasted.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On 2 Sep 2003 07:46:27 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Just looked at the rating panel on our fairly recent Category E (800W output) microwave. Input power is 1.24kW so over a 1/3rd of the input power goes has waste heat.
Kettles must be far better or they would melt, not having forced cooling... Then of course you have the losses in an invertor and the size of the battery required to store that amount of energy. Kettle of a gene is probably OK provided you don't overload the gene.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

They have water cooling though, and a fair heat capacity.
Method: Cool kettle using several litres of tap water, measure 1 tea-cup of tap water into kettle, and time until bubbling Cool kettle using several litres of tap water, measure 2 tea-cups of tap water into kettle, and time until bubbling
Results: 60s and 90s.
Conclusion: a microwave is just about as efficient for one cup of tea, but slower.
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 12:09:26 +0100, Nick Finnigan wrote:

Exactly most of the heat goes into the water not into waste hot air.

Define "efficient".
To make a mug of water hot enough for a decent cup of tea in our 1.24kW input (Cat E, 800W output) uwave would take 2 mins. Our kettle (2.9kW) will boil the same amount of water in 45s (just timed it).
uwave = (1240/60) * 2 = 40W kettle = ((2900/60)/60) * 45 = 36.25W
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

(Useful work done) / (Energy input)

(Assuming you mean Whr not W) So the calculated input energy for the kettle is within 10% of the estimated input for a 65% efficient uwave. 'just about' the same, given the likely errors.
Grunff wrote:

Sopld fuel stoves and open fires and candles all work well for me. Kettle boils on the aga, but I have used camping stoves as well. AND barbecues.