Electronic Water Softeners

Hi folks

My traditional salt-eating water softener (protecting a family household supply) has broken. I am looking at about £500 to replace it.

I note that a number of suppliers offer electronic water softeners (sometimes referred to as descalers) which consist of coils of wire wrapped around your water mains inlet pipe, which are supplied a current by a small mains-attached box. The principle is that the crystalline structure of the "hard" components of the water is altered in such a way as to prevent it aggregating.

It is claimed that these are just as effective. They are certainly a great deal cheaper to buy and run, easier to install, and would seem to be a no-brainer decision. But it seems to good to be true.

Has anyone got direct experience of these devices, and advice to offer on whether they work as advertised?

Thanks in advance :-)

Damian

Reply to
Damian Glasfurd-Brown

Damian Glasfurd-Brown wrote: [electronic water softeners]

If it seems it, it usually is. Google this group!

Reply to
Dave

In message , Damian Glasfurd-Brown wrote

Has the price of snake oil fallen recently?

Reply to
Alan

This question comes up about 3 times a day.

They're completely useless, except to provide obscene profits to those who peddle them.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Reply to
hammy1967

Why not get it repaired ? My Dads was 10years old when timer stopped, got fixed by local water softnener installer company for about £80.

Reply to
Ian_m

Err, in what way? Mine is about 20 years old, and I had it overhauled a couple of years ago. I've also had a new clock, a new set of washers in the valve chest, and a new resin cyclinder fitted.

Nooooo! Not again.......

Reply to
The Wanderer

Mmmm.... they would be a decision for those of no brain.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Where is he btw ? Has he changed name again ? I'd hate to think I'm missing his posts.

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

He has a stand-in at present....

Reply to
Andy Hall

as time goes by...

Reply to
DJC

Strange. Mine actually works.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thanks for the comments. And apologies for not researching this topic more fully by googling this group before posting. Here's the results of my few days' research.

  1. Most people think these devices are ineffective and a scam
  2. A few people argue that they are effective at preventing limescale formation (yes, even from experience)
  3. There is a dearth of real-world testing to prove the point either way. Whatever they do achieve, though, they certainly do not soften the water.
  4. Whilst it is quite possible to get an electronic unit with a full money-back guarantee, I would be concerned that any damage to my plumbing (by way of scale build-up) would not be covered, if I ever had to return one of them.
  5. My conclusion FWIW: these devices (if you get the right one) *may* be some aid to the prevention of limescale build-up, but are definitely not a substitute for genuine water softeners. I will be replacing my old ion-exchange model with a similar unit.

Cheers D

Reply to
Damian Glasfurd-Brown

Well acording to the bloke on QVC or wherever who was selling the "Scalewizard" he was extremely convincing about how it would remove virtually all limescale deposits within a month of fitting.

Reply to
PeTe33

Oh well.... it must be OK then.

Reply to
Andy Hall

31 days before you get results. QVC only offer a 30 day money back guarantee!
Reply to
Alan

He's an actor. And not to be trusted. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

LOL. :¬)

Reply to
PeTe33

Mine did, an Aqua Dial.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I think Scalewatcher is one year. Most are a year.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel