Electronic Water Descalers / softeners

Page 2 of 2

<snip>

doh! of course. you'll realise of course that my skill in that language is very limited, and that the spelling was roughly phonetic!
note to self.... save all postings to draft and check in the morning, if posting seems like a good idea after a rather too mucg vino... :-)
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson

No, publish and be damned and live to regret it the next day
... the expert speaks!
--
geoff

writes

What - slipping an extra step into the beat ?
Are you going to bring your handbag to the London meet?
--
geoff

FWIW....
I used to descale the kettle frequently.
I started using a Wickes electric conditioner and a Brita filter at the same time.
I don't know which does the trick, but I no longer get any build up on the element.
On taps etc. I do get some build up round the base but it is easier to shift and not so plentiful.
I think it works, but I have no proof about dissolving existing scale. It might be working but I've no intention of taking my bot water cylinder to bits to find out.
If offered my money back I would keep the gizmo.
--
John Wood, Derby England.
Please note: Return email address is modified
John Wood wrote:

Britas seem to work - I don't know why tho.

Heard this comment from several people - is it just because they seem like the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and such nasties?
We have a britta jug and only use it for the kettle. I've never worried too much (certainly never keep it in the fridge) and have always assumed that any bug living in it will be killed by boiling in the kettle...
I guess its only boiled for a few seconds - should I be concerned? No obvious side effects in the 5 or so years that I have been doing this!

On a similar subject, anyone know of a decent cheap source of them?>
Darren
dmc wrote:

They are. Both my filter units - when I used em - went algal green.
Washing out in bleach solved the problem.

I've never had anything like that. Although I do clean the jug out when changing the cartidge as recommended, it never shows any sign of needing it. The cartidges contain something (silver, IIRC) to prevent bacteria growth in them. It probably doesn't remain effective forever.
However, the water once filtered has no protection, so you shouldn't keep it for more than 24 hours, and not in the Sun. As I said, I keep mine in the fridge anyway. In reality, I use at least a jugfull every 24 hours, but if I go away for a few days, on my return, what's in there gets used for watering plants or similar and I refill it fresh.
--
Andrew Gabriel

writes

Nowt wrong with a bit of algae - don't water softeners contain a small amount of silver which has been known to be a bactericide (?) since at least Roman times
--
Geo.

I wonder how useful they would be for purifying aquarium water?
--
geoff

I'm considering giving one a try on the cold input to a Combi. However these electronic descalers are advertised to work (or not) with a magnetic field applied to the water, so -> Is there any problem with them interfering with other systems, e.g. the chip in the boiler itself, or the thermostat control system which in my case is wireless??
Any history of problems Folks?
Eric

Shouldn't think they do that either. ;-)
--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

The chip?
--
geoff