Electrolux fridge tripping circuit breaker

Hi, I have an old (coming up to 10 years) Electrolux ER 2656B fridge freezer which trips the circuit breaker whenever it's switched on. It was working fine yesterday but during the night tripped the electrics off and now any attempt to switch it back on just trips it out again. Anyone know what the problem could be or is it knackered? Thanks :)

Reply to
LawHead

Knackered. Not worth fixing. New fridge time. You should get a good deal in the sales though.

Reply to
bob watkinson

I had a small Lec freezer in the garage that did the same thing. Measuring with a multimeter between the live and earth pins of the mains plug I could see a few Meg Ohms leakage. When I dismantled the plastic housing where the thermostat lives and wiped away the conensation the leakage disapeared and it was OK for a while. I put it down to poor design. If it's the same thing maybe you could dry it carefully and use some silicone grease.

Reply to
Graham

check l-n and l-e resistances with multimeter then narrow it down to compressor/stat/wiring sometimes fixable simply Even if its a partial compressor short they /can/ be made to run, but probably not worth it on energy efficiency grounds in those cases.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I had an Electrolux which blew mains fuses because the interior light switch in the freezer section had tracked across to ground, maybe because of damp.

Worth checking things like this before you bin it.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Thanks for the answers guys, it looks like the compressor. I'll take a look at the stat and poddle it with my meter but I'm not that hopeful.

Have a good xmas ;)

Reply to
LawHead