Electricity in the bin?

Until recently our bathroom light had a 26W (150watt equiv) low energy lamp fitted. Its light output suddenly reduced by about 50%. I switched off and took the lamp to the kitchen to throw it in the bin. When it landed on top of the rubbish it flashed for an instant at the fullest brightness. I have not been able to repeat the effect.
Anybody any ideas as to why it flashed?
--
John Wood, Derby England.
Please note: Return email address is modified
John Wood wrote:

Static electricity. It wasn't at full brightness - you just think it was because the bin is dark.
--
Grunff

lamp
Perhaps you have a leaky socket near the bin.
Mary

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:11:40 -0000, "John Wood"

Join to internal capacitor broken, hence half-brightness. Dropping in bin re-made contact, discharging capacitor to light bulb. Capacitor now discharged, bulb dead, cannot repeat?
Sounds plausible but probably tosh :-) Tim Hardisty. Remove HAT before replying
On 04/02/2004 John Wood a wrote :

A capacitor in the inverter circuit somehow became detached and caused the reduction in light output. You dropped it in the bin which caused the fully charged capacitor to discharge itself into the inverter, thus producing light briefly.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

You're quite right. It's meant to be. Expect more, with my apologies to everyone except Harry.