Efficiency of in sink water heaters

Not of those ones in particular but such devices are common in Japan where domestic appliances on 100v cannot support a 3kW kettle so they have a highly insulated slow kettle that keep water hot.

They are OK but freshly boiled water is still better for making tea.

You can get smaller kettles.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yes, I think they are a bit hazardous when you now have 2 hot taps on a sink. I haven't made the mistake of putting my fingers under the wrong one just to rinse my hands, yet!

Reply to
Capitol

"We guarantee that the water in your Vektra kettle will stay hot for up to 4 hours after it is first boiled. Testing has shown that after 2 hours the water is at 80°C, hot enough to brew a cup of te... "

Bollocks it is (80C).

Maybe if you are using Tescos Value powdered floor sweepings tea bags.

Proper tea needs proper boiling water...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Some fine Japanese green teas find 80C too hot. Perhaps they're not "proper tea".

Reply to
Mike Barnes

but what aprice, some in John Lewis are over a grand.

Reply to
critcher

Well I don't drink them, so not really a problem. All the tea in my house likes 100C or near enough.

How many people in Britain drink fine japanese tea anyway?

Within the context I stand by my original assertion.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well, as you get to define what "proper tea" is, no one can contradict you. I wasn't trying to, just widening your horizons a little. FWIW I just found a packet of Japanese tea in the larder and it says 75-80 degrees.

BTW my amusement with the quote was actually the juxtaposition of "guarantee" and "up to".

Reply to
Mike Barnes

No safety lock?

Reply to
ARW

Fair do's - I'm not really a tea connoisseur anyway, so I tend to brew up a PG Tips tea bag for visitors at best or a bit of Chinese green (and whilst opinions vary, it seems to do fine with 100C water) - but I do love my Nespresso coffee machine - best kitchen invention in decades!

Reply to
Tim Watts

But it is true if you define "hot" as "at a higher temperature than initially". Let alone the "up to". Its one of those meaningless statements like " powerful enough to heat a large sitting room" applied to a small "ceramic element" fan heater.

Reply to
Robert

` No, just rapid finger extraction.

Reply to
Capitol

Same here. I wish the recycling service wasn't so awkward though.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Such 'high efficiency measures' often come at such a high cost as to offer so low a return on investment that in practice they simply aren't worth implementing except under more extreme and unusual circumstances of use. The 'highly insulated' electric kettle is just such a typical example of this type of investment.

I use a 3KW electric jug kettle which can be filled to a minimum of 1 cup's worth (200cc).When boiling up enough water to prewarm the small stainless steel teapot and fill it to 2 thirds of its 400ml capacity to brew a mug's worth of tea, I normally fill it to the 2 1/2 cup mark (about half a litre)[1].

Turning the kettle on with 500ml of slightly warmer than room temperature water[2] gives me barely enough time to extract and ready a teabag from the caddy, rinse out my mug from its previous use and ditto the used teabag and dregs from the teapot and have both ready in time to lift the boiling kettle from off its base (no pointless waiting on the boil detection 'stat to switch it off) to pour about a

100ml into the teapot to warm it up and empty into the sink, returning back to the kettle ready to receive the waiting teabag _after_ turning the kettle back on for the 4 or 5 seconds it takes me to transfer said teabag to the pot and let me lift the kettle just as it resumes boiling (again, no waiting on the boil sensor 'stat to cut out). [1] The extra 100ml or so is simply the price I'm prepared to pay for a properly brewed mug of tea. I'm not so uncaring of the quality of a mug of tea as to penny pinch and brew in the cup. [2] Once I've filled the teapot to the 2 thirds mark, I then immediately top the kettle back up to the 2 1/2 cup mark ready for its next use, not just to save on filling time but to have the water pre-warmed to a greater or lesser extent compared to cold filling immediately before its next use thus making productive use of the current 'brewing time' needed to make a reasonably good 'cup of tea' and spread the heat energy into a larger lower temperature volume of water better able to retain its heat over the next hour or so before its next use.

One might suppose that an insulated kettle would make considerable savings on the amount of electrical energy consumed sufficient to justify the additional capital investment involved but the amount of energy savings involved wouldn't be enough to justify such a refinement unless you could reasonably expect to see a couple of decades of service life from such a low margin disposable item as an electric kettle. TBH, acheiving as much as a decade of use out of a well chosen electric kettle would be a remarkable feat alone.

Reply to
Johny B Good

I'm reminded of the spurious claim that the galley tea making hot water heating units in a 747 Jumbo Jet are precision set to 87 deg C as the optimal tea brewing temperature when we all know that it's more to do with the boiling point of water at a cabin pressure corresponding to an altitude of 10 or 12 thousand feet.

As for the statement, "We guarantee that the water in your Vektra kettle will stay hot for up to 4 hours after it is first boiled.", this is totally meaningless without at least two vital statistics (preferably including a third involving room temperature), the actual temperature used to define "hot" and the volume of water (eg half filled or fully filled). The water supply temperature is immaterial in this case since it only effects how long it'll take to boil the water.

Reply to
Johny B Good

And immediate access to a stream of instant cold water. :-)

AFAICR, such 'boiling hot' supplies use a very small spigot, easily distinguishable from the more usual hot and cold supplies. Also, as others have pointed out, the initial flow is far from being at 100 deg C, necessitating some wastage, often usefully used to prewarm the mug before chucking a teabag or teaspoon of coffee into it.

Reply to
Johny B Good

I thought some (Quooker?) stored the water above 100°C at mains pressure, so it instantly boiled as you open the tap and lower the pressure?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's still useless unless you do something about "up to".

Reply to
Mike Barnes

This is a real bugbear of mine. You see the likes of "which" getting all upset about broadband operators offering "up to X" and then delivering something less, but in the high street almost every shop has an "up to 50% off" sale. Good luck trying to find anything that actually has 50% off.

Reply to
CB

I remember that _Which_ article: they misleadingly described those "up to X" come-ons as "promises".

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Not aware of those. Seems like a recipe for disaster. Would seem to depend upon supply pressure available?

Reply to
Capitol