effect of recessing stove

We are in the process of installing a stove. Its a Mors=F8 1430 Clean Heat Squirrel. If it is recessed under the chimney lintel, how will that effect the efficiency of the heat? Will the room take longer to warm up as more heat goes into the surrounding chimney parts? Will this heat then go on a slow release when the stove is out? Will more heat go through the register plate/adaptor to my clay lined chimney?

Reply to
misterroy

Not easily avoidable unless you have a massive house or are willing to rethink/redesign/rebuild I know but:-

I expect you will hamper the efficiency of the "hot metal radiator with a fire inside" aka stove by limiting the amount of air that can circulate easily around it and thus warm up the room quickly using least fuel. It depends what size fire place you are fitting it into and what physical size the stove is - hence how mcuh free air the stove has to work with...

Yes, for that and above reasons.

probably - the issue is *where* will the heat be released to? i.e. what's on the other side of the fireplace - a cold dark winter night or another room? if the latter then not so bad - if the former you could do with adding some form of insulation.

well yes but they'd be getting warm anyhow

If you have a gap betwixt the clay lining and the masonry of chimney fill it with vermiculite right to the top - means chimney pot off but VAST advantages in doing so over and above the heat loss into the gap you mention..

Cold uninsulated flues (whatever they are constructed of) spell bad news when filled with lower temp. stove gases - the tasr and nasties tend to condense, build or fur up, reduce effective diameter and cause an increased fire risk - compounded if long (tall building). Particularly bad news if no flue - just an old "real fire" chimney with a foot of flue pipe stuck up into it...then masonry attacked by flue gases leading to dangerous building fabric; flue gases getting into building, bedrooms etc ~ carbon monoxide et al =3D death etc!

You could ask your installer to put some vermiculite onto the top of the register plate before sealing it - assuming there is a gap in the first place?

You could aks about a "heat shield" to deflect heat out into the room rather than dwell under the register plate....

hope it helps Jim (24degC in front of mine tonight!)

Reply to
jim