economy 7 and sticking dishwasher timer

For the last twenty odd years we've had economy seven, the idea being that washing machine and dishwasher would be set to run during the off peak period. Now the dishwasher timer sticks and has to be manually nudged on to complete the stages of the cycle. As this uses about 10 % of our electricity and without it I would have to do a share of the washing up I'm loathe to do without it so I cannot decide the best course of action.

Without the dishwasher off peak the economy seven tariff, which has higher peak units, becomes marginal but EDF will not change tariff without changing the meter, this does not seem logical to me as they could just lump the units into one tariff at no extra expense to them. Is anyone aware of a supplier that might do this?

The dishwasher is working otherwise well but my experience of messing with these old clockwork timers is not good, weighting the handle with a string wound round it to help it along causes it to jump steps. A replacement is over 100 quid! As the dishwasher is 20 years this repair doesn't seem worthwhile.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Could you set the dishwasher to "manual on" and connect it to a plug-through appliance timer (probably £5 to 15)?

Set it to run then unplug it or switch off the socket; wait a while and plug it back in --- if it starts up normally, this could be a cheap solution to the problem. Make sure you get an appliance timer rated for 13A --- I think some sold as lamp timers are only rated for

3 or 5A.
Reply to
Adam Funk

But are they doing to charge you for the meter change? If not, why worry about it?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Because when we go all nuclear electric the off peak will be proportionately far cheaper and I worry about waste :-).

Mainly because I don't want to have the unnecessary hassle.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Essentially that's what we used to do but the clockwork programmer on the dishwasher "sticks" part cycle and needs a gentle twist to get it to the next part of the cycle.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Oops, I misunderstood the question!

I thought your dishwasher had a built-in delay timer that was sticking, but you're talking about the control module.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Hi,

What about spraying or brushing a little grease on the cams of the timer?

Does it click repeatedly when it gets stuck?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

10% of your electricity just so you can have soft hands? Bleeding poofter.
Reply to
Matt

The message from Matt contains these words:

A pound a week seems like a bargain to me.

Reply to
Guy King

Yeah, one couldn't run a wife on a pound a week.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from Owain contains these words:

My wife runs me on about that much.

Reply to
Guy King

Wasn't there a spoof Fairy Liquid advert once, done by I think Jasper Carrott? It went something like.

"Mummy, why are you hands so soft?"

"Because Daddy does all the washing up"

Reply to
Matt

"Mummy I keep going round in circles"

"Shut up or I'll nail the other foot to the floor"

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Mummy, can I lick the bowl?"

"No, you can pull the chain like everyone else"

Reply to
Frank Erskine