Dysons...

Page 2 of 3
IMM wrote:

But not designed to work.
In short, your ideal product?

Like your super expensive AGA
IMM wrote:

No, that IS designed to work, and surprisingly enough, that also sells it.
Agas are like land rovers (I have two of those as well) in that they are actually both based on veruy old designs taht have stood the test of time, and do WHAT THEY WRE DESIGNED TO DO really well. The fact that most agas are used fo warming frozen chips, and most land rovers spend their time cluttering up the school gates, is a separate issue.
I mean, what other car would you take down the garden to pull the lawn tractor out of a ditch?
The aga is functional and effective in what it does, It can't grill to save its life, but it warms the kitchen and is atrcative in a 19th centrury Fred Dibner sort of way. If I want a modern ceramic hob cooker -well there's one bolted on the aga and another one I got S.H for a 100 quid with all mod cons. However when the power goes out for 3 days as it did last winter, all the Combi boilers and modern microwaves won't cook your dinner or keep you warm, and when there is a foot of snow outside, I wouldn't take anything but the 24 year old series III with its MOD tyres.
Stick yo your urban box, with its insulated walls, combi boliers and Butlins hoidays. You wouldn't last a week out here.

Bob Eager wrote:

Excuse me, My series III is ALSO a real one. In fact its realer than my Defender IYSWIM

Sorry, sir...I was including those by proxy....wish I still had my Series I....
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
I don't know who's doing it but someone needs to post less and spell check more
Essjay001 wrote in message ...

Regards Capitol
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:00:18 +0000, parish <parish_AT_ntlworld.com> wrote:

If you completely block the input to a centrifugal fan, all suction will disappear. Providing a small controlled leakage need have a negligible effect in normal use but will ensure that suction is maintained even when the main nozzle is virtually blocked.
Cheers - Mick

Will it fit the dust extractor outlets on saws, etc?

It does on all my stuff.
The DeFault saw needs the adaptor that came with the router though (although having said that I'm not entriely sure whether I've tried toconnect it directly with the Henry accessories adaptor).
Dust extraction on hand tools is great - I've been slicing up MDF left right and centre in the dining room (currently a temporary workshop) and the dust created in there is minimal. Zero-dust routing has to be tried to be believed.
You do really need the additional Microtex (3 micron) filter if cutting MDF, though. About 25.
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson

Essjay001 wrote:

At 5 times the cost of something equivalent for no real advantage that OI can see, it bloody ought to be...but isn't basically.

I've lost count of how many threads there have been on here about how to fix them. They must be both very popular and very unreliable.
I bought a Panasonic on the recommendation of Which some years ago. Only thing that's failed on that is the light.
My previous Hoover Junior did about 20 years with only a new set of motor brushes.
--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

them. My ex-sister-in-law used to wear out 3/4 Vacuum cleaners a year, all brands. Dyson's are basically very good machines, if a bit over engineered.
Compared to a Kirby they're a bargain.
Steve R
--
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

The only independent survey I've seen is Which, and they say they are - or certainly nowhere near the top in reliability.

Perhaps that's why my Panasonic has lasted - it's so noisy you don't use it for a moment longer than needed.

Well, yes. But are you comparing like for like?
--
*Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.

So what would you suggest for less than 35 quid
Oh our sainsbury's do Dyson for 169
Essjay001 wrote:

Seciond hand panasonic/sanyo cylinder

Thats before the extended warrantry, repair bills, and time spent keeping it working..

My Dyson has had one belt (a DIY job to fit and belt available in Comet) and only filters in 7 years, and still going strong. An American lady next door borrowed it once, and was might impressed and was going to buy one in the USA, until I told here how it worked and as far as I know they do not sell them in the USA. She was disappointed.
IMM wrote:

I had a sanyo for 17 years and all it ever needed was a replacement motor after 10 years. I shouldn';t have bothered,m but it was marginally cheaper then a new one. Its still around somewhere I think, but I have a slightly differet animal now that I got for 50 in dixons. Thats about 5 years old, still going strong, no belts to go you see.

I had a Moulinex for 15 years and it was also crap. the Dyson is a wonder machine in comparison.