Dulux Plaster Seal or PVA?

Hi all

I am about to paint some new plaster (yes I know this question has been asked in many forms before but please bear with me).

The paint will be Dulux Once wipe clean stuff which forms an excellent durable wipeable finish IMO. But, can't remember what preparation I did last time I used the stuff! The "tin" calls for Dulux Plaster Seal on bear surfaces IIRC.

So what's the difference between this and dilute PVA? Any reason not to use PVA as I have this (in stock) already.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

True.....

.... and the most recent occasion this question was answered AFAICR was

2 weeks ago:
David
Reply to
Lobster

PVA forms a HORRIBLE base coat to paint over. It doesnt soak into the plaster as some people say but forms a smooth film that gives a poor key for the later coats. Frequently the paint starts to flake pretty soon.

A dilute coat of an emulsion of the same colour as your Once Wipe would be my choice.

Reply to
marvelus

Yeah, you're absolutely right! I just wonder how long it will be before Dulux bring out an "Over- PVA Primer" for the polyvinyl fetishists in this NG. PVA has a place in DIY, but it's not the answer to EVERY problem,FFS!

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

That will certainly happen if it's insufficiently diluted, yes.

Yep, also works fine as long as it's sufficiently diluted, or else you get the same surface film problems. .

Reply to
Steve Walker

When googling this group I once found a tip to re-attach ridge tiles with PVA.

Reply to
marvelus

Nah, you'd want no more nails or pink grip for that ;)

Reply to
Richard Conway