Draughts

Just as I was feeling smug that I had just about taken care of all the energy-saving measures that I reasonably could, the arrival of a brisk cold wind has reminded me of a problem relating to my west-facing gable end

The aluminium back door has brush seals which are a bit tired, and in one area, possibly due to a bit of frame movement, have a gap that is too great to even make contact. As far as I can tell, the seals must have been slotted into the door frame extrusions before they were assembled together, which would make it difficult to try and slide in a replacement, even if I could source one. Perhaps I could Dremel a bit of the slot away to facilitate this?

Being aluminium, anything else would have to be stuck on, presumably outside, and I'm not sure how long it would last.

Any thoughts?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Small, short self tappers no good?

Failing that one of the modern grip adhesives for exterior use is likely to outlast the seal and they have quite a long life. There are various draught strips on the outside of our exterior doors that we didn't fit and we have been here 11 years... Those draught strips still work very well.

Getting the strip fitted neatly with a goo rather than nails/screws might be tricky.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Chris J Dixon writes

Search for brush pile seal and you will find plenty, slot width is standard, normal brush length 5mm or so but avail in a range of lengths so you could put in longer stuff for warped sections or even part of a section by slipping in longer stuff then shorter stuff and you don't really want it over long. Stuff with a centre fin has a superior seal.

Normally sold on a 50 or 100m reel for about 50quid but you can buy it in carrier strip too for gluing or mech fixing to old windows. I'm not suggesting you do this but it is a way to get short lengths of differing pile lengths as you can just slide it out of the carrier.

Drilling into the top of the channel will remove the flanges in a controlled way and you can use a bit of no more nails to fix that section of the new file. Doing this in the middle of a section may make slotting in the pile easier, done in 2 strips with a glued join in the middle.

Try:

Exitex

or

fred

search terms, found it even cheaper at

price with carrier is less than Ironmongery Direct charge for it by the reel!

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

In article , Chris J Dixon writes

That is a good price, thanks for the update.

Reply to
fred

The job has now been successfully completed.

The friction between strip and carrier was initially a little too high to slide it out, and I began to fear that it had been glued in. However, the lip of the carrier peeled off quite easily, and the strip came out with no difficulty.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon