Draining Convetional sysyems.

Hi,

I would like to drain my system to enable me to replace the current lockshield valves to TRV's, I have found the drain point at one of the radiators. My question is.

  1. Do I need to just open and drain from this points.

  1. How do I go about re-filling the system.

  2. Does it matter if the TRV goes on either the flow or return?.

TIA

Reply to
Matt

No you need to stop the feed into your header tank aswell. Make sure all valves are open, attach a hose to the drain c*ck and open it up. As the water starts to drain out you may need to open the bleed valves on the rads to help empty them.

Retighten all bleed valves and the drain c*ck, put some inhibitor in the header tank and turn on the feed again. When the system and header tank are full go around and bleed the radiators as normal. You will probably have to do this a number of times over time as fresh water introduces air into the system that you need to bleed out.

I don't know the answer to this.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

You will be there for a few hours, then realise you needed to turn the water off, or tie up the float in the tank.

Put some inhibitor in the tank. Turn the water back on.

Sometimes, read the instructions.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

The message from "John" contains these words:

Some in the flow, some either - depends on the design.

Reply to
Guy King

Noooo! You don't replace the lockshield valves, its the other end!!!

Leave the LSV's and replace the control valves on the other end. The LSV's are there to balance the flows, not as isolation valves. Of course many systems are not properly balanced anyway so it might be a good time to check it. See

Phil Addison