Double Pole switches and FCUs for kitchen applicances

Page 2 of 2

writes:

it is

This is in the context of the two gang socket being unswitched and being remotely isolated by DP switch from the ring itself.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Actually, double sockets are still only rated 13A (you'll find that written on the back of them all). However, the British Standard does require them to be tested at higher than 13A -- can't remember what it is, but it's less than 2x13A.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 18:49:06 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

There is no need to have the switch DP instead of SP. But, 13A DP switches are not readily available. In addition, wiring 'in line' is a lot easier if you don't have to keep one conductor continuous (and I wouldn't want to joint it inside the switch box).
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

I suggest you use a DP switch if the ring is RCD protected. Let's say your washing machine develops a neutral-earth short and trips the RCD. If you switch off your accessible SP switch you will still be unable to reset the RCD, because the washing machine is still shorting neutral and earth. Now you have to heave the washing machine out so you can get the the plug and unplug it. However, you will likely have first gone off on a wild goose chase to find the cause, having discounted the washing machine because the RCD still trips after you switched it off.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Thank you both for your replies. I'll go the double pole switches I think. Would probably look smarter. Will