Door knob set

Hi, can anyone help. Just moved and one door which we want to lock has what I think is called a knob set, knobs either side of the door, one with a keyhole in it and the inside one with hand lock. Unfortunately the previous people did not have a key so I thought I would buy a new knob set. Now I find that the distance from the centre of the line connecting the two knobs to the door edge on the new lock is 60 or 70 mm and the existing lock is 95 mm. I cant keep the existing latch bit because the square hole is too small for the new lock rod. Does anyone know if you can still get 95 mm knob sets. I have tried several diy stores and they have no idea. One local store said he could order a 60 mm one and get an additional 95 mm latch but that would be in the order of £50. Is the only alternative to cut a new hole nearer the edge of the door and try to fill the space left with the bit of wood I've just cut out. Any ideas would be appreciated, Lawrie

Reply to
Lawrie

on 27/03/2006, Lawrie supposed :

In the past I have made my own keys to suit locks. Just take the lock out of the door and along to a good lock smith who should be able to make you a key, or if you feel able - along to a place that makes keys to get a suitable blanks.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Anything in here...

here..

The3rd Earl Of Derby

locksmith will make you a key for a fiver. BTW the knob set is the 2 round knobs to open the door with, not the lock.

If its a basic 2 lever lock, try your collection of keys, one often fits.

NT

Reply to
meow2222