Door in Supporting Wall

Hi,

I am thinking of knocking a new doorway through a wall, upstairs in my house. The wall is an interal structural wall.

Could anyone give advice on how to go about doing this safely

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
Thomarse

You will need Building Regulations approval, and the council will probably want to see (basic) calculations for the lintel, so you probably need a structural engineer to rough something up for you.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You need someone to do a load assessment on the proposed position.

If there is any real load, it is unlikely that you would safe doing it yourself. Get a builder in to advise on it.

Reply to
EricP

What do you mean by internal structural wall?

What is the wall made of, and how thick is it?

Is there anything above it in the loft? - that is, does it continue up past the upstairs ceiling and hold anything up like purlins?

If not, are the ceiling joists jointed on top of it?

Reply to
Phil L

The wall is a wall between the main bedroom and the second bedroom, it runs in parallel with the front wall of the house and the ceiling joists in the attic rest upon it but are not jointed on top of it. The wall is not any thicker than any other wall in the house (I havent measured it), it is just a standard wall except obviuosly the ceiling joists rest on it in the loft.

There is nothing in teh loft resting on the joists apart from the usual odds and ends of junk!

Reply to
Thomarse