Supporting wall removal

Hi, I am after some advice as I am a first time DIYer and am keen to do as much of the work as I can without compromising the structural integrity of my home. I am wanting to remove a 3 meter supporting wall. Who do I need to contact for advice on the RSJ I need. The house is 1963 and I am knocking through the kitchen into the dining room. Thanks. Clare

Reply to
Clare1989

You will have to get a structural engineer to work out the loadings on the RSJ and come up with an appropriate size. Building control will have to pass the construction so you will have to get them in from the start.

I have to say that it is not really a first time DIYer job and I would strongly recommend you get some one with experience in to do the job this is one of those things that if not done properly the consequences could be a disaster. Where you could save yourself some money is making good the opening if you fancy replacing floorboards, a bit of plastering and joinery replacing skirting boards.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

+1

The only thing I would add is that if this is an estate house and you know of others where the same thing has been done (you could try asking on FB, if there is a local group) then you may find someone who has indicative designs and costings, and may well find advice on builders to use (or avoid).

Reply to
newshound

Thankyou for your advice, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I have found a local structural engineer who will visit the house and draw up plans to submit to building regs and a builder. He wants £325 which I think is pretty reasonable?

Reply to
Clareday1989

Agreed, thanks for taking the time to reply Richard, I will keep this part for the professionals šŸ˜‹

Reply to
Clareday1989

Also, remember it is *your* responsibility to inform Building Control (another fee I'm afraid).

Do not allow your builder to 'take care of it' because some builders don't like involving Building Control, especially if they want to take a few cost-saving short cuts.

Reply to
Andrew

Reminds me of an 8' wide opening in a brick wall done with no support at all, nothing. It was fine for many years, then began to very gradually collapse.

Reply to
Nick Cat