Do mesh or transparent sat dishes give less signal?

I've now set up two satellite systems. The first has an 80cm 'transparent' plastic dish with a mesh core. The second is a 60 cm solid metal dish. I believe both to be aligned correctly. Both systems work fine, but I get a better signal from the smaller metal dish (about 3dB). Both have a clear-sky view. I suppose it's possible that the lnb in the larger dish is at the bottom end of the quality range for the product. However before I start mucking about with it (not the right weather), does anyone know if, in general, mesh dishes give a poorer signal, particularly when the mesh is embedded in plastic?

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

As long as the "holes" in the mesh are small compared with the wavelength of the microwave signal the dish will still act as an excellent reflector.

Reply to
1501

the hole size is a small fraction of the wavelength, so it makes no difference. Look at differing LNB specs, or maybe alignment / cable / minor damage.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Our system (Zone 1 painted mesh minidish) stops working once the ice build up gets above about 1/4" thick. We normally have a full or one block missing signal strength of a Sky box and quality perhaps 2 or 3 blocks missing. I wouldn't expect a thin bit of plastic to make a significant difference unless there has been a very bad choice of plastic made.

Do the LNBs have the correct feed horn for the dish shape (circular/oval) and their position (offset/not offset) relative to it?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Are you using the same digibox to compare signal levels , and I would expect LNB's to vary quite a lot , otherwise why are some makes 5x more expensive than others ?

Final adjustment should be for signal quality not strength .

Reply to
robert

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Peter Scott saying something like:

Yes, but not so you'd notice much. It was more of a concern ~15 years ago, before decent LNBs came on the market. The plastic isn't a factor, imo.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Thanks for all the comments. I use a Satlook Micro for alignment. Looks like it's an iffy lnb then. I believe that they have a fair spread in performance even in the same model. I'll fit the Titanium quatro ready for the multiswitch and see if I get better numbers. It's a relief about the plaggy dish. I am in a conservation area so it's politic to keep it as unobtrusive as possible.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Peter Scott wrote: ,

You started by mentioning a difference in signal of 3 dB, without saying whether that was in level (amplitude) or in S/N ratio. LNBs are high gain devices; their overall gains are typically between 55 and 60 dB, with a wide tolerance. Two perfectly good LNBs of the same make and model could easily differ in gain by 3 dB and such difference is of no practical consequence.

A 3 dB output level difference between two dish/LNB set-ups is only significant if it's due to front-end factors - i.e. a genuine difference in dish gain, mismatched dish and LNB feedhorn F/Ds, or just poor LNB positional set-up.

So compare the RF S/N ratios (aka C/N) or, failing appropriate instrumentation, satellite receiver signal quality (BER) displays before condemning your dish or LNB. Ignore signal strength (unless grossly low).

Reply to
Andy Wade

Thanks for the suggestions

I'll climb the scaffolding when it stops raining

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott