DIY Sussex Barn

Having lurked on here for a while, I thought it time to post something.

A while ago a group of us built a copy of a Sussex Barn, 40 foot long by

12 foot wide, from scratch, starting by felling the trees - mainly Oak with a bit of Ash.

of the Oak had to be split before we could move it - a 14 foot long

3 foot diameter Oak is a bit heavy. Takes about 10 minutes with a few wedges and a couple of lump hammers. Initially, we used a chainsaw mill to cut the timber we needed but it was taking too long so we hired a man and his mobile sawmill - brilliant piece of kit. Took him 10 minutes to do what took us 5 hours.

Oak was used for the main frame of the barn, with the Ash used for the roof. The only timber we bought were the tile battens. The tiles themselves are hand made, over a hundred years old and were saved when a nearby house was re-roofed about 12 years ago.

's nearly finished, all we need now is a nice large wood burning stove to boil the kettles on a cook the sausage and bacon :)

Phil

Reply to
phil m

Don't forget a visit to sleepcity. I'll get me coat.

Reply to
brass monkey

In message , phil m writes

Woodmizer mill? I am searching for someone with a Lucas Mill within reach of Hertfordshire as I have an 18' x 3'6" Oak butt to mill in situ.

Very nice job. I have copied off your roof detail for future reference:-)

How did you cut the curved wall plates?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Nice job Phil.

What sort of foundation is there under those piers?

Reply to
John Rumm

Here's a picture of the sawmill. Unfortunately, he wasn't making enough money with it, so he sold up and is now working in a local forestry estate. Pity, as we may need to build another barn, though only 2 bays.

> Very nice job. I have copied off your roof detail for future reference:-) >

Would you believe a jigsaw?

Reply to
phil m

I'm not sure, they were built before I joined the group 5 years ago. But I do know that they are probably well over-engineered and will still be there when the rest of the barn has disappeared.

Reply to
phil m

Absolutely excellent.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Isnt that where you hide the building in a haystack? or is that the wrong county :)

Reply to
Gazz

In message , Gazz writes

Fidler and Beesley.

The Govt's. prompt response is a *planning enforcement order* which will allow an LPA to apply for a removal of immunity from enforcement action if actions or inaction of a person have resulted in or contributed to full or partial concealment of the breach.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb