DIY numpty seek paint advice

Having watched one of the DIY programmes on TV, the one with the two guys from the 1,000,000 property experiment, which isn't the 1,000,000 property experiment, they tarted up a tired kitchen with cream stainwood paint. I figured that's a solution that'd work for us.
Our kitchen units are solid pine, but are over 20 years old and really do look their age now, but in a charmless way. I figure a quick sand-down and a coat of the right paint could really rejuvenate them, and it's a lot cheaper than new units (new doors aren't an option on account of the unusual sizes of our units).
Would anybody advise me against it? Is it likely to end in tears? Which is the right paint to use in a kitchen environment - ie Something that won't discolour or accumulate grease?
TIA
Andy

property
and
unusual
is
===========================================I wouldn't let bill & ben in my House for all the tea in China. Best paint for Kitchen enviro in my op is Eggshell paint the Lustre Magnolia looks really stunning on my Kitchen units.
Plus it's washable Grouch

Magnolia
You can also get paint specifically designed for kitchen cupboard doors. I don't know if it is really just marked up standard Eggshell etc.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

What is Eggshell paint anyway?
David

http://www.duluxtrade.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/DTBUK/Contractors/ICIPaints/servlet/DTBDUKInfoSheet?catentryId &5025&productType=dulux
http://makeashorterlink.com/?H3ED52577
Christian.

Sorry this page does not exist.....
--
Chris French, Leeds

Weird. To get to it conventionally, click on:
1. www.duluxtrade.co.uk 2. Decoraters & Contractors 3. Products (top left) 4. Dulux Trade 5. Decorative Finishes 6. Eggshell.
Christian.

==================================Hard wearing, Tough,
Grouch wrote:

Well my daughter just painted most of her flat's woodwork in white eggeshell and it sanything but durable. Seems to take days to dry properly too.. Dunno what make though.
BillV wrote:

I thought eggshell and matt went on the walls generally, and satin and gloss went on the wood? Could be wrong though, cos I've never used eggshell (matt and satin, me).
Velvet

eggeshell
Yer common or garden eggshell trade paint is generally oil-based and behaves much the same as gloss.
You can use it on walls, and it has excellent moisture resistance properties and a wipe-clean surface, so would be good for bathrooms. Having said that, I wouldn't like to try and remove it....
Normally it is used for painting woodwork giving a low-lustre finish. Satinwood is pretty much the same thing, (perhaps slightly higher lustre), and some maintain that it is exactly the same, but eggshell is pushed down the trade lines and satin marketed in the diy arena.
I like it, and use it for all our woodwork. My experience is that it is hard wearing and easily applied, IF it is put on in a couple of thin coats (as gloss shoudl be anyway). It doesn't need undercoating (I used to u/c everything, but changed that habit following talks with my missus's ex-brother-in-law, our resident family pro decorator), which saves at least one application, and if the wood is properly prepared and in a good state then it can really show the detail in mouldings to good effect.
It also works really well on large areas of painted furniture, e.g. MDF built in units. Lay on with a foam gloss roller, and brush out gently with a good quality brush, looks like factory-finished stuff.
My preference of brand is Leyland or Johnstones trade - much, much, much cheaper than Dulux trade.
For the OP's question, I'd reckon it's ideal for kitchen cabinets, apply with roller as described above.
Some friends have painted their kitchen using a Farrow and Ball colour - "bone" - and the results look really good.
-- Richard Sampson

<snip>
No.
No.
I used Dulux Satinwood to paint our old melamine kitchen cupboard doors about 5-6 years ago, it's held up well. There is the odd chip on the corner of course, but it's stood up to the wear and tear of kitchen use, washing and cleaning etc. well.
Though they say you can paint directly onto a primed surface, I still prefer ti use an undercoat as well.
--
Chris French, Leeds

It should work, but I'm puzzled by your description: it is elementary to clean and varnish pine, resulting in it looking good for a good 30 years. What went wrong? Did someone use tinted lacquer?
Regards, NT
Where did you get the word numpty from? ... I thought only my wife used it... when referring to me! :-)

property
and
unusual
is

I don't know. I don't use it regularly, but it's been in my vocab since my youth. :-)
Andy
Jusr wondering.. where did you get the word numpty from?
I thought I was the only one called a "numpty" (by my wife) :-)
Brad

property
and
unusual
is

[snip]
You had any DIY done in your house. :o))))))

Please don't top post.
It's widely used on Pistonheads (http://www.pistonheads.com )
writes:

Ask Terry Wogan on radio 2 I've heard him use it many times