DIY Electrical Work

The wiki has a diagram

Enough advantage that you'd choose it if you were self-building?

Reply to
Andy Burns

IMHO yes. I mix and match what type of lighting I do to suit the needs and the proposed usage of the house. I am not a fan of this new breed of electricians that loop in and loop out T&E at the light switches as they cannot work out any other way to do lighting circuits.

Reply to
ARW

A megger in the wrong hands (especially 1000v ones) are a problem, it can destroy electronic stuff.

Reply to
F Murtz

Hopefully the apprentices mobile phone.

Reply to
ARW

Not seen that yet. Does this mean 3 cable drops to a switch? Mind you, it's handly to have access to the neutral there sometimes. I ran triple and earth to many lighting and switching points with the house I rewired back in 2002, but all the cables run back to a wiring centre, so they can easily be re-jumpered (and in my case, hooked up to home automation control).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The first time I came across looping in at the switches was in our 1975 bui lt bungalow, all done in singles with a seperate neutral looping from roset te to rosette. Taking out a ceiling switch in the bathroom to replace it in the hallway meant the back half of the house needed the lighting circuit r ewired partly due to the difficulty of getting access to the existing wirin g to put in a junction box.

I have now found my daughters new-build is wired the same except in T&E whi ch in some switches is producing a "rats nest" of wires. An example being o ne twin gang switch where there is an incoming T&E from the CU and an outgo ing one to the next switch, another switched live and neutral from one swit ch to some ceiling spots and because the other switch is one in a 2 way arr angement so there is a 3 core & E taking the switched lives and a neutral t o the other switch in the circuit. The front plate just about screws down o n a 25mm back box!

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Yes. Three T&E for a 1 gang single light switch

You only need one neutral conductor at the switch to do the job.

Reply to
ARW