Pedestal basins: plumbing and support

Hello,

One last bathroom question for today!

The basin was on the internal wall, its waste pipe ran (about 2 metres) under the floorboards through notches in the joists to the external wall. Because notches were used, the pipe run is flat. I'm wondering whether the lack of fall is a problem.

I removed the old pipe and there was some gunk in the bottom but not as if half the bore was blocked with it. Perhaps this means the lack of fall is nothing to worry about, OTOH it could mean that the pipe was recently replaced!

My other option would be to run the waste parallel with the joists, down a gradient, and out of the other external wall but I would then have to run a pipe around the corner to the soil stack, which might make the outside wall look messy with black pipe everywhere?

Incidentally, the basin was glued to the wall with some sort of grab adhesive. When I removed the pedestal, the basin remained attached to the wall, much to my surprise. The adhesive is a grey/brown colour and does not appear to set. It is still tacky now. I wonder what it is?

I wondered about putting a 2x3 or 2x4 batten in the wall at basin height, to screw the new basin into. Do you think that would work? I presume all pedestals are the same height, so it should be easy to work out where to put the stud for the basin?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I wouldn't change the plumbing - just abolish the use of solid bars of soap and only use liquid hand-wash type of stuff and use a weekly dose of Domestos.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

What difference does the liquid soap make? We only ever buy that now, because it's much easier to use, and doesn't make all the bath bubbles disappear (yes, I'm a big softy that likes bubbles). Does it also keep the plumbing cleaner? That would be nice.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Maybe liquid soap doesn't form as much scum in hard water?

Reply to
Martin Bonner

so no problem then. A 2m flat run is workable, an 8m flat run plus sharp bends used to block occasionally.

The Brits love imagining problems

yes if it's a timber framed wall

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

FWIW no-fall waste can often be livable with if every several months you fill the sink to the brim then pull the plug.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Martin Bonner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Bar soap is made from Fat and this causes scum (remember tide marks - a thing of the past with liquid soaps) They certainly do keep the pipes cleaner as they don't form a fatty scum.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Agreed. If you want the bar but not the soap, Dove is worth considering.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

/Bar soap is made from Fat and this causes scum (remember tide marks - a thing of the past with liquid soaps) They certainly do keep the pipes cleaner as they don't form a fatty scum. /Q

Oh? What's liquid soap made from?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

JimK wrote in news:5cbb5e2f-2525-42d4-88f5- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Detergents. Not fats.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It usually includes a nasty substance "sodium laurel sulphate" to which many people are allergic - but don't realise it.

Reply to
charles

Teepol?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I can't believe the heavy basin is stuck to the wall, especially as the gunk is tacky. Probably just to fill the gaps. My old fashioned basin has metal brackets screwed into the wall to hold the basin, and I feel sure your basin has screws somewhere invisible, perhaps with their heads covered with white plugs.

Reply to
Dave W

Likely there'll be a couple of hefty metal brackets screwed to the wall, one each side. The basin is dropped onto these and there are usually a couple more screws underneath to prevent it being accidentally knocked off the brackets.

That's how my basic I installed is attached (with no pedestal).

In fact I fixed the brackets on with M8 stainless stud grouted (with resin) 3" into the wall as the wall was made of celcon blocks and I did not trust plugs to withstand that sort of leverage.

Reply to
Tim Watts